Should some Oklahomans be exempt from the state's income tax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many Vietnam Vets did not volunteer.
Korea, too, probably.

There was no draft for the Korean Conflict.

I would make a sizeable bet that most Viet Nam vets were drafted,,,
I did know several "boys" in my senior year who volunteered,,,
But I knew many more who were dragged in by the draft.

To whoever of you said, "Draftees had other options",,,
I would ask you, what would you have done,,,
If going to prison was the option.

In the 2nd draft lottery I drew #6,,,
That meant I was going guaranteed to be drafted in January.

Right after watching that draft lottery on TV,,,
I was standing in the kitchen, drinking my first beer in front of my parents.

I figured if I was old enough to be sent to fight and possibly die,,,
I was old enough to drink a damn beer.

My Father, who was a Korean Era veteran came to me and said,,,
"You know, we have friends in Canada".

So it was join the service,,,
Be an expatriate,,,
Or go to jail.

What would you have done you Ig****** A******?

Aarond

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was no draft for the Korean Conflict.

I would make a sizeable bet that most Viet Nam vets were drafted,,,
I did know several "boys" in my senior year who volunteered,,,
But I knew many more who were dragged in by the draft.

To whoever of you said, "Draftees had other options",,,
I would ask you, what would you have done,,,
If going to prison was the option.

In the 2nd draft lottery I drew #6,,,
That meant I was going guaranteed to be drafted in January.

Right after watching that draft lottery on TV,,,
I was standing in the kitchen, drinking my first beer in front of my parents.

I figured if I was old enough to be sent to fight and possibly die,,,
I was old enough to drink a damn beer.

My Father, who was a Korean Era veteran came to me and said,,,
"You know, we have friends in Canada".

So it was join the service,,,
Be an expatriate,,,
Or go to jail.

What would you have done you Ig****** A******?

Aarond

I went to school with several like you, that knew they were going to be drafted and went to volunteer Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard to avoid. My cousin was drafted in '66. He volunteered Marine. His thought was, "if I got to go, go with the best training I can get."
He done 1 tour, came home. He told us all kinds of stories and then was sent back for a 2nd tour. He came back, just after Tet and talked very little about Vietnam. He was made DI for troops headed to Vietnam.
He volunteered for a 3rd tour, so somebody else wouldn't have to go. When he came back, he took me aside and said, "if you get called up, leave, don't go, do not go to Vietnam, the only thing happening is good soldiers are dying. Go to Canada, Mexico, Australia, even BFEgypt, but don't go to Vietnam. At that time, he looked older than his Dad, was completely white haired.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His thought was, "if I got to go, go with the best training I can get."

Three of my graduating class said the same thing,,,
Two of them came back,,,
One didn't.

When I was in the USAF (70 to 78) I did everything I could to avoid Vietnam,,,
I got accepted into a career field that wasn't utilized there,,,
I though that I had "made it in the shade".

Imagine my dismay to be the only Airman in my field,,,
To get assigned to a 89 day TDY to Vietnam.

If you were never in the military,,,
And especially if you never saw combat,,,
You just need keep still and to S*** t** F*** U*!

'nuff said!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three of my graduating class said the same thing,,,
Two of them came back,,,
One didn't.

When I was in the USAF (70 to 78) I did everything I could to avoid Vietnam,,,
I got accepted into a career field that wasn't utilized there,,,
I though that I had "made it in the shade".

Imagine my dismay to be the only Airman in my field,,,
To get assigned to a 89 day TDY to Vietnam.

If you were never in the military,,,
And especially if you never saw combat,,,
You just need keep still and to S*** t** F*** U*!

'nuff said!

I did not join the military. Vietnam and our goobermint cluster F of the situation, left a bad taste. While I fully stand with those that served. Several family members, close friends and acquaintances served during and after Vietnam, Grenada, Desert Storm, Afghanistan and Iraq. All returned, though some had problems.

They all deserve all the care they receive and more. No illegal deserves or should receive anything, as long as 1 veteran needs help.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with paying taxes on your wages, then taxes on what you buy, taxes on your property, taxes on your car then annual taxes in the form of tags, If your children need a little help and you give them money that you've already paid taxes on, they are required to pay taxes on what they are given. It just goes on and on.
We don't' own anything as long as we pay taxes on it and if we don't pay taxes, they'll take it from us. And for those that don't work, we get to support them with our taxes. And in the end, we don't get to even suggest where the politicians spend our money and when they spend more than received, they borrow and place the country in debt without our consent and we have the privilege of assuming that debt.
As far as I am concerned, if we are taxed, everyone should pay taxes if they have an income, they use the fire departments, libraries, police protection, road and highways etc. Many veterans who made (as I did) $78.00 per month in the military had to pay taxes on that pittance so it is only fair that all pay and while we're all paying, the politicians should be forced to stop spending our hard earned money buying votes, and foolish studies such as:

Last edited:

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vietnam was 70-80 years ago. They had options other than the draft. Hell, one that choose otherwise even became President. Again, nobody owes them anything. As far as generational stuff, go be a boomer somewhere else. Not a millennial here for sure. Just a Gen Xer tired of you old people blaming every one of your bad choices on someone else.
And you gen xers are one of our bad choices

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with paying taxes on your wages, then taxes on what you buy, taxes on your property, taxes on your car then annual taxes in the form of tags, If your children need a little help and you give them money that you've already paid taxes on, they are required to pay taxes on what they are given. It just goes on and on.
We don't' own anything as long as we pay taxes on it and if we don't pay taxes, they'll take it from us. And for those that don't work, we get to support them with our taxes. And in the end, we don't get to even suggest where the politicians spend our money and when they spend more than received, they borrow and place the country in debt without our consent and we have the privilege of assuming that debt.
As far as I am concerned, if we are taxed, everyone should pay taxes if they have an income, they use the fire departments, libraries, police protection, road and highways etc. Many veterans who made (as I did) $78.00 per month in the military had to pay taxes on that pittance so it is only fair that all pay and while we're all paying, the politicians should be forced to stop spending our hard earned money buying votes, and foolish studies such as:
Bron Fee, and TAXED TO DEATH...... Even after death with the Death Tax!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you drunk posting? Earliest we were in Vietnam was the early 1960’s, with advisers and that was Kennedy’s admin. After Kennedy was assassinated, Johnson became president and ended up sending troops to Vietnam in large numbers to help assist the south Vietnamese, which ended up being a joke, as we was doing most of the fighting. Johnson also enacted other programs, such as the project housing and providing money for the lower class enabling people to rely heavily on the government for support ( how do you think they voted).

How old do you think out Vietnam veterans are. How old do you think Dennis, Terry others would be, 120 plus? The Vietnam war really started seriously with our involvement in 1965, through the fall of Saigon in 1975. You must have had some bad info, teacher, or wiki lead you wrong.
No drunk posting. Maybe some would havew been better served to pay a little more attention in History class.

1705864383635.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom