Sighting in a scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. Really? Thanks.

Yep. It's the quick and dirty way if you have an extra pair of hands to help. You can also put the gun on a vise, pull the bolt and look down the bore at an object 100+ yds away, then move the reticle to that object in the scope. That should get you pretty close on paper at 25-50 yds. Then you can fine tune. You don't need a bore sighter with a bolt gun or AR.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pretty slick... have to remember that one

IF you can hit the paper at 50 yards with the first shot, you can have that rifle sightened in with 2 shots, how?
It takes two people so after the first shot look thru the scope and put the crosshairs back at the point of aim for the first shot, now have someone turn the turrets on the scope so the crosshairs line up with that first bullet hole, now fire another
round, it will hit where you are aiming.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another issue could be your scope doesn't track consistently. 2 clicks might move you 2" instead of 1/2". I've experienced this with cheaper scopes. Nikon is know for making some pretty good stuff from the ProStaff and up. I don't know about the Buckmaster line.

Also you want to confirm your crosshairs are oriented correctly. Otherwise you are making diagonal adjustments instead of vertical or horizontal. A friend an I had our scopes mounted and bore sighted by a local place and mine was slightly out of alignment, but his weren't even close. Fortunately it was free or I'd have been really pissed.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like something ain't right on your set up. I doubt it is the Nikon's fault and I doubt the Weatherby is at fault either. (Though even good companies occasionally do make mistakes). Sounds like something has the scope pointed down in relation to the rifle. Doesn't take much to really throw things off. Look for anything that either elevates the rear or lowers the front. Mismatched rings or bases. Loose rear base screws. Non skid tape under the scope in the rear but not the front.......that kind of stuff.

Calamity Jake's system does work.

Also, after you make your adjustment tap the turrets. Reticles have been known to stick and the tap will usually keep that from happening.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. It's the quick and dirty way if you have an extra pair of hands to help. You can also put the gun on a vise, pull the bolt and look down the bore at an object 100+ yds away, then move the reticle to that object in the scope. That should get you pretty close on paper at 25-50 yds. Then you can fine tune. You don't need a bore sighter with a bolt gun or AR.

This^^^^. One thing variation to this. Go to your yard or any place legal to have your gun and target about 25 yards apart or there a bouts. Get a paper plate and make a large circle on it with a bulls eye/cross centered on the paper plate. Set your rifle in a brace or something that it won't move around. As said above, pull the bolt and look down the inside of the barrel to the paper plate so the paper plate and the cross is dead center while looking down the bore. Without moving the gun at all look through the scope and make your adjustments with the elevation and windage so the cross hairs are centered on the cross on the plate. This Gould get you on the paper and make final sighting in easy. This is also good if you have major issues while at deer camp and you have major problems.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you can find someone with some scope alignment bars, you might want to get the rings checked and make sure they are lined up. if you turn the turret all the way until it stops, then u can turn it all the way back the other directions counting the clicks, then go back half of that to get your scope set back to center. then look through your bore at a target at 100 yards and see just how far off they are from each other. if it is WAY off to where you cant even get the crosshairs that far over to the target, then you will know something is outta wack.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice is to buy 3 or 4 boxes of different types of ammo. Winchester soft point, Remington softpoint, Hornady ballistic tipped, etc vary bullet weight too buy something in 150 gr and some in 130 gr. Some guns like different weights better. I just went through this with my .270 and turns out the ammo I was shooting was the problem, my gun hated it so try different types.

See my thread below.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?120052-Frustration-with-equipment-myself

Latest posts

Top Bottom