Sleeping bags 4 camping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Lieutenant friend and I used his Hi Lo at Fort Riley during summer camp on the weekends and evenings we were off.
Quite an enjoyable summer camp that year. Being in a medical service unit was great.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I still camped on the ground I had two bags one summer bag and one winter bag. Pretty much any crapper from walmart will work for the non-winter months around here. But I learned quickly I needed a sub-zero rated bag to survive our winters. My last was a -20 bag and I actually needed that much protection once.
Anymore I’m as above, 4 walls on wheels.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much any crapper from walmart will work for the non-winter months around here.
Or Amazon... :D

images

:drunk2:
___

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't recommend any stuff on the tent camping as I would have a rough time enjoying that type of camping in a mummy bag and thin pad. I'm a side sleeper and it would be miserable on my shoulders to have to sleep on the ground. Would get a terrible nights sleep which in turn would make for a miserable time in general.

Not sure it was mentioned by the OP but curious what type of camping would require him to use a tent. Is it campground with tent, hiking into the wilderness using a tent or at a "deer camp" with a tent and your car parked next to camp site?

The only tent camping I'd enjoy now is with a Canvas Wall Tent. We typically use a nice XXL cot and 42" wide Sleeping back with the option to use a comforter over the sleeping bag for extra warmth. use a 3" foam pad between bag a cot. Sleep like a baby when it is cold out.

I'm a firm believer that if my camping was just me a dog the minimum I'd be doing is a small 18'-22" travel trailer, even if a cheap or good used one and use that to sleep in and keep my stuff dry with an easy up outside and a great cooking/table setup. Sort of like a low budget Dennis Hoddy setup. That being said my wife and I are in the market for a nice big travel trailer to vacation in or a midrange 5th wheel.

ozinok

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a lot of different camping equipment over the years and can say that I am finally very happy with what I have now after much trial and error ...
- Kodiak 10' x 10' Canvas tent - not cheap but very very comfortable in most weather and will last a lifetime if treated well, I've had it in use for 10 yrs now, mostly in OK, CO and WY various times of the year
- Ex Military Modular sleeping bag/bivy system (BDU) - cheap and very comfortable in most weather using the various layers
- Exped sleeping mattress (10LXW) - I'm a big boy and this thing topped it all off

Attachments

• 4PC-Sleep-System-2.jpg
    4PC-Sleep-System-2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 27

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I still camped on the ground I had two bags one summer bag and one winter bag. Pretty much any crapper from walmart will work for the non-winter months around here. But I learned quickly I needed a sub-zero rated bag to survive our winters. My last was a -20 bag and I actually needed that much protection once.
Anymore I’m as above, 4 walls on wheels.

Midway has -20 degree Browning bags on sale right now for $54.00. I bought 2 last year just in case!

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a lot of different camping equipment over the years and can say that I am finally very happy with what I have now after much trial and error ...
- Kodiak 10' x 10' Canvas tent - not cheap but very very comfortable in most weather and will last a lifetime if treated well, I've had it in use for 10 yrs now, mostly in OK, CO and WY various times of the year
- Ex Military Modular sleeping bag/bivy system (BDU) - cheap and very comfortable in most weather using the various layers
- Exped sleeping mattress (10LXW) - I'm a big boy and this thing topped it all off
One of my favorite systems. I have a couple of them too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom