Snow Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

First comment is true. Been there and done that. :D

Second, is really not true.

As in all of these threads, I always invite folks to come to the farm that want to prove the abilities of their 2WD vehicles.

I've never had a taker yet.

I have a dirt ditch with a high shoulder of dry dirt to try, and a high bank creek to ford, and climb in and out.

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The advantage of a 4wd is it will get you going where a 2wd will not. It is simple engineering. (exception being maybe a 2wd dually on ice may = a 4wd on ice)
A fwd will likely keep you going in a straight line better.
A 4wd and a fwd and a rear 2wd are about equal in that they all have the same basic stopping system and none of them work on ice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The advantage of a 4wd is it will get you going where a 2wd will not. It is simple engineering. (exception being maybe a 2wd dually on ice may = a 4wd on ice)
A 4wd and a fwd and a rear 2wd are about equal in that they all have the same basic stopping system and none of them work on ice.

A 2WD dually on ice is helpless. Especially the diesel models. They are so heavy in the front end that they just turn circles if they don't have a 1000 lb round bale hanging off the back.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not totally true. With a manual trans engine braking is far superior with 4WD. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Photos of the "places" would be enough proof against the 2WD for me. My only truck is an 1981 F150 4x4, it would make the trip just fine I'm sure, might cost $50 in gas though.

I'm there almost daily, but its deer season, so I don't get back into the creek area this time of year. I've posted some random pics of that area in the past.

I'll take some more down the road and archive them for the next snow storm discussion. :D

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 2WD dually on ice is helpless. Especially the diesel models. They are so heavy in the front end that they just turn circles if they don't have a 1000 lb round bale hanging off the back.
I beg to differ, I drive one daily and my SOTF 4x4 isnt working. I get around great in the snow or ice with only the rear wheels pushing. My 2x4 Excursion however scares the crap out of me on ice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom