So I had my first wreck today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on the highway and it was down to one lane due to construction, me and the two cars in front of me all jammed brakes noticing that traffic had stopped. The vehicle two ahead of me stopped in time to not hit anyone, I swerved to the shoulder and was clear, the car immediately in front of me then swerved to the shoulder as well to not hit that car causing me to rear end them.
I'm sure I'll have to pay being the rearender, but do I stand any chance in fighting this?
I was well over 4-5 car lengths behind the vehicle which i considered to be safe distance..
Why did I still hit them you ask?
They were driving a track package 2015 mustang gt with multi piston brembo brakes and I was driving a jeep with regular jeep brakes. We were both off of the road and on the shoulder/grass by the time of impact..
Any advice? Or should I just pay my deductible and be glad my vehicle didn't have a scratch on it...

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes it's best to pay out of pocket to fix the other guys car. The $750 rear spoiler you let the ins co pay for could cost you a lot more than $750 in the long run.

SM Rider

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Swerving to the shoulder to avoid rear ending the vehicle ahead indicates following to closely. Tailgating is the norm these days. Funny thing is that tailgating doesn't get a driver to their destination any quicker. My solution for tailgaters is to slow down enough to let the tool go on around me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You were in the grass, your jeep is an off road vehicle. The Mustang is not an off road vehicle. Try that to fight it.

That was a joke. You were TOO close. Car lengths is not the measurement, seconds is the measurement used and it is increased depending on speed. Your options are to pay out of pocket, or turn into insurance.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were you given a ticket? Was anyone hurt (or claiming to be?) If not, then it's just a battle between the insurance companies, sometimes each company just taking care of their own clients. From your description it sounds like you went evasive and the vehicle in front of you pulled in front of you.

Rear end collisions are usually pretty cut and dry but these situations can be confusing. I was in a similar situation. Sudden traffic slow down. I stopped in time to avoid the pickup in front of me, but not by much. As I sat there waiting to move, I heard a crash behind me, then another and the the car behind me hit me pushing me into the pickup in front of me. I was never cited and the insurance companies sorted it out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it will be cheaper/ less hassle just to pay and be done with it. As asked above, we're you ticketed? Since you performed an evasive maneuver and was in the clear until the other vehicle did the same in front of you..........that could be looked several different ways as fault goes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom