So I had my first wreck today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once paid to fix my own car from someone who backed into me, instead of filing it on insurance. I had had a deer run-in a couple months before in my Tahoe, which prompted me to buy my 370z while the truck was in the shop. Then the Z got smacked while parked (I wasn't in it). Instead of filing against my insurance, I decided to pay the $1700 (estimated) out of pocket to avoid a second claim in 3 months, thinking it would save me money in the longrun. When the repair shop got it torn apart, it ended up costing me more like $3300 of my own money. :( I hated it, but the person who backed into me at low speed in a driveway couldn't afford it. I never told them I paid it myself - I let them think I turned it into insurance. Friend of a friend, was in a bad financial/social situation at the time and I just bit the bullet and took care of it myself. I didn't want to claim it on THEIR insurance, and I didn't want to claim it on mine that it was hit in a parking lot at WalMart, the story I told my friends to keep it quiet. That would have been insurance fraud, and I just didn't feel it was right to do so.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't cited. An officer showed up but just witnessed us exchange info then left. He said if he made a report and cited me for following too close it wouldn't stand in court since we both were off the road trying to avoid an accident And he would cite the other gentleman as well to keep it equal for insurance purposes.
I would be the first person to take responsibility for my actions if it was due to my negligence or as someone mentioned tail gating, but it wasn't the case here. There was 4-5 car lengths between us and we were going 45 mph slowing to 15 mph at impact. The insurance companies are ironing it out, they said it would be a few days before fault was determined. I feel for the guy that was in front of me, but he has insurance as well and I don't quite feel justified paying for his damages as it was his evasive maneuvering that caused them. It wasn't a normal fender bender, I had pulled all the way off of the road before his brake lights illuminated and was nearly at a full stop upon impact, I didn't pull off to avoid him, I pulled off to not get smacked by the dirt loaded hauler behind me.
I wouldn't have hit him had it been a normal vehicle, I barely clipped him as it was as I had enough to time to come 3/4 of the way back to the right lane to try and avoid him taking the shoulder, his car is just made out of plastic so it looked like a tank ravished it.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I ask what the other guy would be cited for? Getting hit from behind is not a ticket..

I understand what you are saying but you made contact.

My son drove up deep into the trunk of a car a few years ago, he still claims the same thing as you. He was not following to close and the other car stopped to quick.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Officer said we both would've been cited for following too close if we wanted to pursue that route, the mustang would've been cited with it too as that is what caused him to drive off of the road. If it happened on the road I would've been the only one getting a ticket but we both were off the road so I'm assuming that was the kicker.
And yeah, all in all it's just $500 and I'll pay it and move on, I've never had a ticket or a wreck so my insurance won't jump too high.. It just sucks.
I want the guys car to be fixed too, but I don't feel responsible for the damage. But if it ends up being that way, I'll chalk it up to a lesson in superior braking and will look for a better setup for my jeep lol

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't cited. An officer showed up but just witnessed us exchange info then left. He said if he made a report and cited me for following too close it wouldn't stand in court since we both were off the road trying to avoid an accident And he would cite the other gentleman as well to keep it equal for insurance purposes.
I would be the first person to take responsibility for my actions if it was due to my negligence or as someone mentioned tail gating, but it wasn't the case here. There was 4-5 car lengths between us and we were going 45 mph slowing to 15 mph at impact. The insurance companies are ironing it out, they said it would be a few days before fault was determined. I feel for the guy that was in front of me, but he has insurance as well and I don't quite feel justified paying for his damages as it was his evasive maneuvering that caused them. It wasn't a normal fender bender, I had pulled all the way off of the road before his brake lights illuminated and was nearly at a full stop upon impact, I didn't pull off to avoid him, I pulled off to not get smacked by the dirt loaded hauler behind me.
I wouldn't have hit him had it been a normal vehicle, I barely clipped him as it was as I had enough to time to come 3/4 of the way back to the right lane to try and avoid him taking the shoulder, his car is just made out of plastic so it looked like a tank ravished it.

So you swerved out of lane to avoid smacked by "dirt loaded hauler" but then attempted to swerve back in front of a "dirt loaded hauler" to avoid a special car made of plastic.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you say pay the $500 deductible, I'm assuming you're talking about to fix your Jeep? You shouldn't have to pay a deductible to fix his car, that's what collision insurance is for. Now if you're wanting the Mustang driver to pay YOUR deductible to fix your Jeep? Yeah, not gonna happen under any circumstance.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you swerved out of lane to avoid smacked by "dirt loaded hauler" but then attempted to swerve back in front of a "dirt loaded hauler" to avoid a special car made of plastic.

That's an interesting assumption.
The dirt hauler locked his wheels and smashed through the cones in the left lane, it was a violent scene, we just happened to be the only two who actually collided. That's the only reason an officer responded to the wreck is to help get the cones back in place and reopen the lanes. The hauler was still there when we left, may have cooked something pretty bad underneath.
Fortunately to wasn't me he cooked though.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say pay the $500 deductible, I'm assuming you're talking about to fix your Jeep? You shouldn't have to pay a deductible to fix his car, that's what collision insurance is for. Now if you're wanting the Mustang driver to pay YOUR deductible to fix your Jeep? Yeah, not gonna happen under any circumstance.

Oh no kidding? I thought I had to pay my deductible to fix his car? The jeep is fine, it has a stinger on the front that worked as designed so it didn't even scratch the finish on the push bar. i just thought I had to pay the deductible to fix his car. Like I said I've never been through this so I'm clueless As to how anything works and the insurance company said it would be 2-3 days to determine fault so I didn't get any info on the process from them.
That's good to know though!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh no kidding? I thought I had to pay my deductible to fix his car? The jeep is fine, it has a stinger on the front that worked as designed so it didn't even scratch the finish on bar.i just thought I had to pay the deductible to fix his car. Like I said I've never been through this so I'm clueless..
Obviously

Nope... your deductible is only to fix your own car. Damage caused to another vehicle should be covered 100% without any deductible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom