"Space shots" - why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why do so many people take pics of themselves from above? You know the kind of pic I'm talking about - where the person holds up his/her phone such that they're looking up at it when they take the pic. I used to think it was so heavier people could look a bit slimmer, stretching out the folds of their neck and visually elongating their bodies, but I've seen slender women do the same thing. What's the reason?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To look skinnier

Lifting the chin up pulls down on the neck fat to make you look skinnier. Plus there are no shadows to make your neck look like a fat neck.
Then they get their fat head in the way to use POV to obscure the fat body in the background.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In our case it's when we are trying to get a picture of of us with something below us in the background, like the hoover dam or las vegas strip. YMMV

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I attribute it to being immature. They go through this "look at me" phase where they try to look either better or stranger than someone else. My step-sister does it and shows off her lip ring, makeup, and style of clothing and it's downright stupid.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about ones taken from below? What classification is that??

i826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_20130804_144607_zps5391df6d.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom