Stores rotation; how long has it been?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lounging watching Stargate episodes when it hits me,...It's been like 2 years since I've checked dates on our food stores. Man, that's gonna be a pain, but I know it has to be done.
What about y'all, checked your exp dates lately?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lounging watching Stargate episodes when it hits me,...It's been like 2 years since I've checked dates on our food stores. Man, that's gonna be a pain, but I know it has to be done.
What about y'all, checked your exp dates lately?

I just use the method that we were supposed to use at Walmart. New buys go in the back - always. It ensures the oldest stuff is at the front.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use a Sharpie and transcribe the BUB date on the front label and rotate to the bottom/rear thereby negating a screw-up for yours truly. We aim for a 3 year BUB date but of course most can veggies are good for an additional 3 years with no problem however we've never gone there with accurate rotations.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting rack system, but impractical for us. Right now we use plastic 55 gl drums to seal in various size containers.
I would need a small room for the racks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting rack system, but impractical for us. Right now we use plastic 55 gl drums to seal in various size containers.
I would need a small room for the racks.

There are plenty of options similar to those shelves from ShelfReliance, if you have even the most basic carpentry skills ... Check out these ...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=220146

There are a TON of videos on YouTube for every kind of rotating shelving you can imagine, some are even made out of cardboard (but obviously those are smaller). Just kinda look around 'til you find one that will work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We follow the eat what you store and store what you eat philosophy so we're routinely rotating our stocks...I'd say I don't have anything older than about 7 months.

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the shelf life on some of these cans are like 2 years or something like that. But isn't true they will last something like a decade as long as there put in a cool dry area where they cannot rust. And just keep a look out for swelling from bacteria inside the can?

Latest posts

Top Bottom