Storing 22 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the jar. I found a cork lid that would fit and used the innards from an old lamp. The lamp didn't really cost anything. The ammo in there is probably 20 years old and there's maybe 3000 rounds in there. There's a piece of PVC pipe in the middle that takes up some of the space.
Looks super cool

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know how we ever survived as a kid with the improper ammo storage we had(just tosed in the undy drawer) and dont know how many rounds got sent thru the washer from forgetting to clean the pockets out and it all done what it was suppose to do in the end.

This. I shoot 1918-1980 ammo that who knows how it was stored before I bought it in 1994 and has been in my OK hot/cold humid garage since then.

I normally just leave it in its original package. Knowing exactly what it is, is the most important to me. Reloads go into Ziplocks with a sheet of paper of the details of the load.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never vacuum. Not even partially. That's woman's work...

:bolt:

(It's just a lamp vase full of .22LR shells. I needed a place to store some and came up with the lamp idea.)

I've never done anything special to store ammo. It stays in a shop/garage...some of it for going on 20 years now. I've never noticed any issues with performance, corrosion...nothing that would seem to degrade it's condition. It does stay dry and it's either in original boxes or ammo cans. I decided long ago after firing various types of ammo, some of it nearing 100 years old, that as long as it stays dry it's gonna be fine. I just stopped over-thinking these things.
22 bullets in a lamp vase— you either:
1. Have a great woman to allow that, (best hang on to her),
Or
2. You’re single…….

My little Misses would think I’ve lost my mind if I tried that in our little den. Great idea, though, for ammo stash, “break glass if needed”

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made it while single (divorced) and it was in my living room. First time current wife visited while we were dating she fell in love with it. It's in the living room now. She loves guns and she never complains when I buy a gun...or gun stuff. We also have a shotgun (an old, non-functional wall hanger...but it looks nice) hanging in the living room.

Divider Wall sm.jpg

Jim Draper

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
If you are like me, you probably have too many of these water bottles lying around. And if you don’t, you can pick them up at yard sales or Goodwill for a couple bucks. Rather than toss them, I decided to store some 22 lr in them. Between the two bottles, they held right at 800 rds. They are air tight, water tight and resistant to temperature changes, so the ammo should be well stored. And if you go hiking or boating, your ammo is safe.

View attachment 414218
I use the aluminum cans from Coors beer. They work pretty good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom