Straw purchase question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was in at academy earlier today and was trying to buy a handgun. Did my background check and the whole nine yards. When I was doing my paperwork this young salesman kept asking me questions like, is this going to be yours or are you trying to buy it for someone else and of course I said no. Then he asked me if I was buying it for my wife, I stopped him right there and said, I am allowed to do that aren’t I? He then said yes. Ok, when I went to pay for it I was using my wife’s academy card which he then said I wasn’t allowed to use this card with out her being there. Ok fine. So I called my wife gave her the card, she went back in to try to buy the same gun and he said no because it would’ve been a straw purchase. What the heck? I mean it’s no big deal either way, just curious

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was in at academy earlier today and was trying to buy a handgun. Did my background check and the whole nine yards. When I was doing my paperwork this young salesman kept asking me questions like, is this going to be yours or are you trying to buy it for someone else and of course I said no. Then he asked me if I was buying it for my wife, I stopped him right there and said, I am allowed to do that aren’t I? He then said yes. Ok, when I went to pay for it I was using my wife’s academy card which he then said I wasn’t allowed to use this card with out her being there. Ok fine. So I called my wife gave her the card, she went back in to try to buy the same gun and he said no because it would’ve been a straw purchase. What the heck? I mean it’s no big deal either way, just curious
Now he's gonna report that as an attempted straw purchase. Best thing is to fill out the 4473 and ignore Mr. Storeman person and even tell him to STFU because he's trying to influence you when you're filling out the 4473. Call his manager over too. He has ZERO business asking you anything really, much less questions that are already on the 4473.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno, but I was at a gun show once and a woman was filling out a 4473 and talking to her husband, and the dealer asked her if she was buying the gun for herself or him, she said "I am buying it for my husband." And the dealer told her the husband had to fill it out. That's about all I know about it...

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now he's gonna report that as an attempted straw purchase. Best thing is to fill out the 4473 and ignore Mr. Storeman person and even tell him to STFU because he's trying to influence you when you're filling out the 4473. Call his manager over too. He has ZERO business asking you anything really, much less questions that are already on the 4473.
He for sure would not get the gun following this advice. A gun dealer has every right to ask this question if he suspects the firearm is not for him.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
He for sure would not get the gun following this advice. A gun dealer has every right to ask this question if he suspects the firearm is not for him.
F em then I’ll go somewhere else where some DB isn’t playing 20 questions.

Asking a legitimate question is one thing, badgering and leading a customer is another.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I was keen on a particular gun so my son decided to get it for me for Fathers' Day. Off we went to Big Boys to purchase it. One of the guys behind the counter there said that since the gun was for me then I would have to be the one to fill-out the 4473 - No problem!
When my kid went to pay for the purchase with his CC he was told that doing so could be seen as a 'straw-purchase', so after thinking on it for a sec, Scotty used his CC to buy a Big Boys Gift Card in the proper amount, which he then handed to me so that I could pay for the gun myself (making the Gift Card for the gun now being my FD present).
Blessed not only for getting a new gun, but more importantly, for having such a 'smart' kid ❤🙏

Last edited:

Garrus Vakarian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
F em then I’ll go somewhere else where some DB isn’t playing 20 questions.

Asking a legitimate question is one thing, badgering and leading a customer is another.
Agreed completely. It even says on the form you can buy for a spouse.

The issue is when the hounding starts.

I wasn't there but I would have responded that all questions on the 4473 are accurate to the law and that is how I will answer them Mr store person.

Latest posts

Top Bottom