Suggest an exotic meat for smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't eat any of it, but the others on the crew that did liked it and didn't believe it was armadillo. I had heard the old tale about armadillo carrying the leprosy germ, so I was afraid to try it. I still don't know if they do.

The nine-banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) is known to be a carrier of the leprosy bacterium; for this reason, the animal is used in leprosy research. It's also likely the cause of new cases of leprosy in humans in North America. So yep, I'd be reluctant to try cooked armadillo, despite the likelihood of the bacterium being killed during the cooking process.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some Wild Bore Belly last week at Lucky's in Tulsa that was excellent. It was nice and rich pork flavor, nice smooth texture, not gamey at all. It wasn't smoked but I would sure like to smoke a piece of one like I had.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do go with a leaner meat, don't be shy about injecting it some. A bit of salty beef or chicken stock can make a big change in the end product.

However it goes, good luck, sir.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elk or kangaroo.

Elk, I've never had it smoked...just cut up into steaks, where possible. I've eaten a few elk I've taken in SW Colorado...excellent steaks.

When in Vegas...downtown area at The Beef Jerky Store...I get elk and kangaroo jerky...both not bad.

So, elk and kangaroo.

I knew a guy from Austraila, he has eaten knagaroo many times but the biggest use they have in Aussie land for the 'roos is in dog food. Dang shame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom