Suggested handguns for women!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat13

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boyfriend bought me a Walther PK380 about a month and a half ago. It worked well the first 300 rounds then a sight fell out, it kept getting jammed, and the extractor broke. After this happened I could not pull the slide back. The dealer sent it off to Walther and I got it back two weeks later. After getting it fixed and putting 200 rounds through it the gun isn't as accurate as before and once again I can't pull the slide back. My boyfriend owns a Desert Eagle and said the slide on the PK380 is currently just about as hard to pull back as the DE. He wants me to check out other guns and I have no idea where to start...again. Any suggestions?

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go lay your hands on some differant guns to see what YOU like , NOT what the bf thinks is right for you , shoot them if you can , to see what you like .

Exactly what he said. My wife is 5' and 120lbs but she loved my 1911 after she shot it so I found a gun that was almost the same size and weight for her. Are you going to like a 1911? I don't know, go to a range and try one out. Most people don't want to admit they need help but if you walk in to a gun store they should allow you to handle the guns and see which one fits your hand best and some even rent them out for you to try.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would check out the older Smith & Wesson revolvers (model 36, 60, etc.) They don't make 'em like they used to. If you are dead-set on a semi-auto, I would look at a Glock (size and caliber would depend on its intended use) I/E: range gun, conceal carry, home defense, or all the above? All of this is in addition to what others have already stated above. You really should handle as many guns as possible to see if you are comfortable working the controls and to confirm what feels good to YOU. I have had a few semi-autos that my wife had a hard time with(in most cases the smaller the gun the harder the slide is to operate) and she eventually decided on the S&W 36(.38 special-revolver) and the Colt Mustang(.380 acp semi-auto) for conceal carry. She can also operate the Glock 19 with ease and this is her choice for home defense purposes.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say head to a shooting range near you that will let you rent guns and try them out. When you go there, tell them what you are trying to accomplish. That way they don't screw ya on gun rental fees.

I am also going to second the go rent and try a bunch. Also second the notion that the Sig P238 is a nice firearm for you to try.

As much as people recommend the snub nose .38's for women I really despise the long DA trigger pull of revolvers so I would advise against them but that is just my opinion. There are plenty of people who love them.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, go handle/fire as many as possible to determine what YOU like best! Also, make sure you keep in mind what the purpose/use of the firearm will be. Concealed carry, range toy, home defense, etc... Some can be used for all, but some are better for a single purpose. Granted, some brands are better made than others, and some have better customer service or warranties than others, but just find one you like and are comfortable with and snag it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom