Super Sniper 20 x 42

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr300

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I have the chance to buy a Super Sniper 20 x 42 (fixed magnification) scope. Does SS make a good scope or not? I've heard some people bashing them and other people swearing by their quality.

What gives? Are they "good" or not?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 16x mounted on my Remmy 700 target rifle and love the heck out of it. It makes it nice and easy to see everything I wanna see at the 400 yard distance. I've been very happy with their quality.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I have the chance to buy a Super Sniper 20 x 42 (fixed magnification) scope. Does SS make a good scope or not? I've heard some people bashing them and other people swearing by their quality.

What gives? Are they "good" or not?

I've never heard anything bad about the newer versions (the old-school ones were great, but they had a few bad years - since SWFA took them on, they've been solid). They are a budget optic, but they're one of the best deals in budget optics.

What do you want to do with the rifle you're putting it on?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use the fixed 20x42 scope to make 500-900 meter shots. Will this magnification work for this range?

I'd say so with no issues - if you want to get down to under 200yds, you'll have a few issues like limited Field of View, but it won't be a huge deal - I keep my scope on 18x most of the time even when doing 100yd shots unless I'm using the reticle to range since my reticle is accurate in MILs at 10x (which if I had a fixed 20x, would honestly be easier since your reticle is accurate at 20x).

Hell if you don't like it, I might be interested in trading you for the Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 variable that's on my Son's rifle - I've been wanting to try a fixed power optic, but I'd like one of the higher-powered models if I'm going to be doing mostly longer stuff.

Leadfarmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A fixed 20 has more than enough for the 1000 yard shot. I used a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44mm during basic sniper. The 10 power is really all you need. I found that the higher magnification the worse the mirage messes with me.

As far a SS scopes. I like the ones that I have used, I found the turrets to be a little mushy feeling though.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A fixed 20 has more than enough for the 1000 yard shot. I used a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44mm during basic sniper. The 10 power is really all you need. I found that the higher magnification the worse the mirage messes with me.

As far a SS scopes. I like the ones that I have used, I found the turrets to be a little mushy feeling though.

I've got one on my SPS 700 and I've shot the 1000 yard match at Red Castle with no problems.

tiny68

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have a 10x, and two 16x SS. I had a 20X before I got my first 16x. The only dislike with the 20x is the fairly tight eye-relief window compared to the 10X or 16X. Reasonable optics and solid tracking. My first 10x had a problem with not having positive clicks. SWFA swapped it out and the replacement was fine. Personally I don't like a FFP and a don't see the purpose of a Mil-Dot with a SFP scope. Fixed is what I want with a Mil-Dot. I have shot a lot of 400-600 yd targets with my 16X. I have no complaints. Luck, Tim

Latest posts

Top Bottom