Supreme Court looks to medieval England in gun rights case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/laws-forbid-carrying-armsspurious-quotation
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.

The big problem I see with looking to old English law is that it applied primarily in support of landed gentry.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I missed that, I only heard towards the end.
One of the things he agreed with is that cities and states have the right to restrict where we can carry a gun. Amy Coney Barrett made a comment about Times Square on New Years Eve being made into a sensitive area. I was really happy with Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Of course Thomas and Alito. Even Roberts made some good comments in our favor. Kavanaugh even made a comment that sound an awful lot like he supports being able to carry without having to have a license.

I read an article just a little bit ago and it made a very good point. If these laws get struck down all the states like New York will have to do is make just about everywhere a “sensitive area” which would make carrying there off limits. Sadly, even some of the more conservative justices seemed to agree with there being “sensitive places” that are off limits to carrying. I am just tired of these justices not doing what the text says. It isn’t hard. And they know it. They are just refusing to do it.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25460CD1-0B3B-474F-98EE-80B01C3C514D.jpeg

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is that different than we didn’t like their laws?

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/laws-forbid-carrying-armsspurious-quotation

The big problem I see with looking to old English law is that it applied primarily in support of landed gentry.
Yep, that was a problem. Thing is, the American Ideal was for all of us to be landed gentry. Didn't quite work that way then, and still doesn't now, but we didn't used to admit that women should have civil rights back then, either. The English changed that, too. Of course, they also went back on it. Just like we seem to be doing. Unless this court stops it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom