Surging home insurance costs could force families to leave these 10 states (OK is one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nebraska​

Homeowner insurance in Nebraska is nearly twice as expensive as the national average. The problem got even worse in 2023, with the average annual rate rising by 14% to $3,519

Feeling that here! Insurance at my place is 2x what my dad pays for his place in Ohio, and his place is worth 4-5x what this place is.
Insurance here WAS cheap 10yrs ago. It's gone up 700% in the last decade....and still climbing. Ridiculous.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

They generally don’t include gas and groceries, kind of important
Plz see post #60. Includes everything including gas & groceries.
This is what I found online. these numbers are the ones being stated by the Dems & Repubs. They are: 1.6% when Trump,left office & went to 9% under Biden. Now around 3-4%.
I think you have to use one standard metric so you can compare. The Repubs & Dems use the cpi that I quoted. Never saw a govt inflation report with double digit numbers.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Nebraska​

Homeowner insurance in Nebraska is nearly twice as expensive as the national average. The problem got even worse in 2023, with the average annual rate rising by 14% to $3,519

Feeling that here! Insurance at my place is 2x what my dad pays for his place in Ohio, and his place is worth 4-5x what this place is.
Insurance here WAS cheap 10yrs ago. It's gone up 700% in the last decade....and still climbing. Ridiculous.
My neighbor was telling me today that his coworkers are being dropped at the time of renewal here in Tulsa.

A tornado hit our his in 2016. My insurance covered my losses then around the time of my renewal quit selling residential property insurance here in Oklahoma.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mom had coverage for 30 years, never a claim. Hail tore up roof. Adjuster claimed damage was a lack of maintenance issue and refused coverage. The next year, water heater split open. Adjuster claimed lack of maintenance and refused coverage.

After I told him where the company could shove their policy, agent said he could get premium lowered. For what? They didn't cover ANYTHING.

House is paid for. I dropped coverage and put the premium into a money market account.

My buddy in Houston told me his premium went up 25% this year, to $4980. His house is paid for. His insurance and taxes are over $850 per month.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much the number of tornados reported by radar from the NWS and local media plays into the increases...?
You'd think they would go by cost of damages, but I don't know.
Now they get excited about every large dust devil out in the middle of nowhere, but when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s those would never be heard of. Farmers would just watch them go by.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This government would never post numbers that make them look ‘not so bad’ now would they?
If they do today, they prob posted with the same methodology 4 yrs ago too. The govt report of the inflation rate was 1.6% when trump left office & the govt report of inflation rate was 9% under Biden in ‘22. The govt report was great for Trump & damning for Biden. That works for me.

Has the govt report methodology of cpi changed with the current administration?
I personally don’t care what method you use to measure the inflation rate as long as it's historically the same for all administrations so we can compare apples to apples

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If they do today, they prob posted with the same methodology 4 yrs ago too. The govt report of the inflation rate was 1.6% when trump left office & the govt report of inflation rate was 9% under Biden in ‘22. The govt report was great for Trump & damning for Biden. That works for me.

Has the govt report methodology of cpi changed with the current administration?
I personally don’t care what method you use to measure the inflation rate as long as it’s standard so we can compare apples to apples
Won’t ever happen. Admin vs admin, media vs admin,media vs media etc. We will never know the real numbers, only what we know with our pocketbooks.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a strong suspicion that powerful investment groups are influencing insurance companies, possibly through underwriters, to push insurance rates high enough to force people out of their homes so they can purchase them for rental properties. Real property always increases in value and it is far more stable for investment than stock or money markets…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom