T-Mobile Internet Auto Pay Bait And Switch - Dumping Payment By Credit Card

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a notice today from T-Mobile that as of July 21st they will no longer accept payment by credit card for payment of their internet service. Only debit card or checking account registration will be accepted to qualify for the $5.00 discount when enrolled in Auto Pay.

We signed up for the Auto Pay with our credit card for the convenience, security, and the $5.00 discount. Now they want us to sacrifice security by going to automatic bank account withdrawals or debit card automatic payments to keep the $5.00 discount. We dropped debit cards years ago due to our debit card being hacked every 3 or 4 months, and there is no way we will authorize access to our banking.

This is a really sucky move by T-Mobile. Until we can find an acceptable internet service alternative out here where we live, we'll be paying by check.

Thoughts?

Woody

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a notice today from T-Mobile that as of July 21st they will no longer accept payment by credit card for payment of their internet service. Only debit card or checking account registration will be accepted to qualify for the $5.00 discount when enrolled in Auto Pay.

We signed up for the Auto Pay with our credit card for the convenience, security, and the $5.00 discount. Now they want us to sacrifice security by going to automatic bank account withdrawals or debit card automatic payments to keep the $5.00 discount. We dropped debit cards years ago due to our debit card being hacked every 3 or 4 months, and there is no way we will authorize access to our banking.

This is a really sucky move by T-Mobile. Until we can find an acceptable internet service alternative out here where we live, we'll be paying by check.

Thoughts?

Woody
Welcome to 2023!!!

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i auto pay my t mobile internet w a Chime card ,(debt) which i have had for over 2 years ,never hacked,my SS payment goes on it too. no problems.i buy everything with it at stores and e bay,.i get a bank account number and a routing number w chime ,and the name of a real bank.i havent used a check in 20 years ,, way too much info on that piece of paper to hand over to a stranger, or risk sending through the mail.

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think family mobile does internet.i use trackfone for my cell phone, i dont make a lot of calls, or use data so its cheaper for me.i got t mobile internet so the techs wouldnt have to come in my house.and t mobile doesnt throw a fit if you down load torrents, like att did,and threaten to disconnect your service.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Woody

They gain 3-4% by not taking CCs...

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same routing number and checking account number that you don’t want to do provide to T-Mobile for automatic withdrawals is on the check you will provide to T-Mobile.
True, but the withdrawals are only authorized by check. T-Mobile wouldn't have direct electronic access to pull funds out.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same routing number and checking account number that you don’t want to do provide to T-Mobile for automatic withdrawals is on the check you will provide to T-Mobile.
This. Routing # and Account # are all that's needed to ACH funds, and you hand it to everybody who has ever received one of your checks.

This is why blockchain (bitcoin) will eat the world. It fixes damn near every problem.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that. But a check is a one time payment each time I make a payment and doesn't give them permission to enter that info into their hack-able system to take payments automatically.

I still believe it is a bait and switch. They get you hooked on the $5.00 "discount" with the credit card auto-pay then cut off that discount by no longer accepting credit card payments.

No one can tell me that T-Mobile didn't know about the percentage that credit card companies charge when they instituted the $5.00 discount with the credit card auto-pay. Ergo, bait and switch.

I may be all wet, but I believe T-Mobile will lose customers - costing them more than paying the credit card companies their percentage.

Also of note is that T-Mobile will still accept credit card payments for their phone services. Are they testing the waters? If so, this may be more than just sticking a toe in the water.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom