Tagged out....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Filled my tag last night with this guy, which means I have to pretty much sit out rifle season except for poppin a doe. I hate that, but would rather have shot one with my bow than rifle anyway.

Had a six point underneath my stand browsing on the food plot. I could see a bigger deer a couple of hundred yards away, but he was walking away. I hit my grunt, and whether he heard it or not, I have no idea, but he did stop, turned and looked in my direction and saw that little buck and came running in. Little buck wasn't sure what to think of the grunt coming from nowhere, but he was more focused on the other buck coming in. Thought I was going to get to watch a fight, but the bigger buck came in and they both just started browsing on the food plot. It was starting to get dark and it was now or never. He was 30 yards out, broad side.... so I let one loose. Right over his back. They both stood there while I cussed myself. My quiver was underneath my seat, so I couldn't easily nock another arrow, but I figured I'd try. With both of them staring straight in my direction, I sloooowly bent down and grabbed my quiver. In doing so, I knocked my water bottle over and it fell to the ground. Surprisingly, neither one of them even flinched when it hit the ground. I swear I could literally hear my heart beating out of my chest, I think it shook a few pine cones out of the tree. Finally got an arrow out of my quiver and nocked. They were starting to get a little nervous and began walking off. I had a 25 yard marker on the ground and the big buck was standing right on top of it, so I set the pin on him, gave a little "baaa", he stopped and I let if fly... again. Perfect double lung shot. He went to the ground and blood started streaming. He got to his feet and stumbled off about 50 yards. Watched him teeter for a second, then it was all over with.

Not the biggest deer, but one I will remember.
[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love it when every thing goes to crap, and yet the hunter is still sucessful.:D

Things falling in the woods are common, and I'm sure thats why they didn't seem concerned.
Congrats on your second buck!

I'm sure there is a Hunters Feeding the Hungry processor in your area. Get a couple of does, and help out if your freezer is full.:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way to go Man! I would have a hard time passing that buck with my bow too. I guess the rut is going strong. One of my buddies watched a buck breed a doe yesterday. I had my son in from Wisconsin this weekend and we got to do the OKC Gun Club USPSA shoot but we had family photos today and no hunting for me all weekend. Hopefully I can get out a little this week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom