The turnpike system and the money grabbers In the state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a bridge built between New Jersey and Pennsylvania called the nickle bridge (can't find any references of it online) because you were charged a nickle. The state bureaucrats were mad so they pressured the owner to raise the price to a dime, the price I remember in the 1970s.

Vital infrastructure is never truly paid off and is a perpetual money making machine for politicians. The few honest folk are run off or eventually die.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill never understand why most turnpike users don’t understand the vast majority don’t use the turnpike system on a regular basis.

That seems pretty obvious. Regardless, outside of needing to add funds upon the initial account setup you're not charged for the pike pass until you do use it.

But I guess if you want to pay higher tolls go ahead.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when H. E. Bailey was built. The toll was $0.10 ans was "only going to be in effect until the road was paid for." 1964 and not paid for, yet. Toll is now $2.00.

Little by little, the toll roads are multiplying and alternate routes are nonexistent or inconvenient.

Got to play to pay. I avoid tolls, when possible, but have a Pike Pass, when needed.

There was a guy I knew that bragged about having his Pike Pass on velcro. He put the Pass in his lap to avoid "reader".
If he got pulled over, he would show his badge (LE) and point out the Pass.
Even if reader does not pick up pikepass it will read tag and still charge pass. My wife's car pike pass falls off constantly and never had a problem with them charging pass.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the complaint, but I like pike pass.

Works well in Texas, works here in oklahoma, I keep enough money on my account that it takes years to even get to the point where I need to reload m account, I seldom use it, but its there if needed.

You also no longer have to stop, just keep driving.

I understand pike pass is now accepted in Kansas as well.

I also use EZ Pass on the vast turnpike system up and down the East Coast, and it sure pays to subscribe to the Harris County Toll System if you’re traveling in the Houston, TX Area. Cash Tolls there can back up for 1/2 mile. At my age, my time is worth the subscription fee

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So now they’ve closed off the exits ability to pay in favor of the license plate reader system.

The cost has soared from 1.15 to $2.05 to go 8 miles on the shitcreek turnpike.

Every car needs a pike pass now or you pay for it.

We went from machines that couldn’t counted money correctly 1 out of 4 times and no debit/credit card readers to this.

Screw the pike pass I’m not giving state a loan on my 2 cars. I used the system to go from Claremore to BA maybe 6 times a year.

Now it’s zero due to cost. Now it cost me a check and a .63 cent stamp as well🧐

You think they would have upgraded the machines to a coke machine standards👎🏿View attachment 398776
I read that the tolls in PA are $118.80 to cross the state. I guess that's what you get when voting for fetterman and marxism ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom