The word "hero" is subjective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a fight or mean any disrespect to veterans, but why is the word "hero" most frequently attached to soldiers, fire fighters, or policeman. The definition of hero is - "A person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."

While that would definitely include many veterans, firefighters, and policeman, I don't think you can lump everyone together as "heroes", just because of their vocation. Let's say I was a normal cop, not overly brave or courageous, and I crash my cruiser and die. Am I automatically a hero? If so, why? What about single moms working two jobs trying to raise their kids right? That's noble and courageous, to me at least. Or what about construction workers in the heat, mechanics and truck drivers, linesmen and AC repairman? I guess my whole point is that "hero" status, like respect, is earned, and no one is automatically entitled to it. It's like the word "friend". We say it a lot, but how many people are our true friends?

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Cambridge Dictionary defines hero as, "a person admired for bravery, great achievements, or good qualities"

I am a bit surprised by this. Bravery yes. The other two seem to be more in line with being a metaphor.

There is the obvious definition of a "hero" as someone who without thought for himself puts himself in danger for the benefit of another. A fireman going into a burning building in order to bring out the 85 year old grandmother who can't walk.

The term "hero" is also often used more along the lines of someone you look up to for their abilities or achievements. Like a kid idolizing a sports star and saying "He's my hero."

It has become a term that is over-used and applied to individuals simply because of their occupation, and not due to their actions. I served 20 years Active Duty Military. I was never once put in a position where I had to put my safety or my life on the line for another person due to my job in the Military. I for one have not earned the title "hero" and don't like people referring to military members as heroes unless they have earned the designation with specific acts of valor.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
merely being n the military does not a hero make......
merely putting out a fire does not a hero make
merely taking report does not a hero make.
save a life of a friend, stranger
placing your butt on the line to do same
now that is a hero

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another veterans website, I said that simply because I served in the US military I wasn't a hero because I did nothing to earn that title and you wouldn't believe the flak I received from some TSgt USAF that evidently single handedly saved the United States from Soviet domination.
To me, a hero is someone that puts their life at risk for anothe-or loses their life and just serving in the military doesn't make a hero. Sure, I went to Vietnam, saw a couple of dead bodies but a hero? Not hardly.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hero is an overworked word. Having said that, I consider "hero" a descriptive word that comes in two degrees.

Anyone who puts himself/herself in a position where they are subject to laying it all on the line for others is a hero just by being willing to do it. Soldier, firemen, cops, etc. all qualify as heroes of that order in my book. Most will never find themselves in that situation, but it could easily happen. Although I think the word applies, I don't think they deserve to be addressed as such without some qualifying event. That probably won't make sense to some.

The next level would be when those folks, or anyone else, actually finds themselves in that position and does the necessary, whatever the outcome. They're earned the designation.

Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom