Thinking of relocating to Louisiana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Southern Louisiana more specifically. Anyone know how much rental property is down there and if theres many jobs around. Been doing some research online but it isn't very specific.

tak1973

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's family lives in Hammond, and my brother-in-law is a realtor/landlord in Folsom, LA. Where are you planning on moving to? Be advised: a lot of the "riff-raff" moved northward out of New Orleans after Katrina. The place is not as friendly as it used to be.

Edit: The Natchitoches area is very pretty.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's family lives in Hammond, and my brother-in-law is a realtor/landlord in Folsom, LA. Where are you planning on moving to? Be advised: a lot of the "riff-raff" moved northward out of New Orleans after Katrina. The place is not as friendly as it used to be.

Edit: The Natchitoches area is very pretty.

Hammond was one of the places I looked at. Right now I'm just looking at places in southern part of the state. Somewhere close to Baton Rouge.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oil field, chemical plants. It's hot-n-sticky down there. Food's great. Roads blow, worse than ours. Gotta mow more often. Invest in Deep Woods Off.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to live in New Orleans.....if you are a musician there are lots of jobs. :)
Property was very expensive down there back then, but post-Katrina I have no idea.
All of my friends/relatives moved outta' there.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been toying with that idea myself, I have been there several times looking for houses and my wife a job ( I already have a job offer on the table) in Lafayette, Or New Orleans. Housing is higher than here but everything else is about the same.If you want specifics about either place P.M. me for my number, My sister and BIL live north of Crowley and we can help you out.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, don't. Many years ago, a news commentator made the following VERY accurate comment: "If Louisiana were a country instead of a state, the U.S. Government would send in the 82d Airborne to clean it up. It is our own third-world country."

Come to think of it, that actually happened....

I have lived there, and have family there. Just say no.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Louisiana has its own culture. It's not a place I would want to raise kids.
I lived in Houma and NOLA.

Rent isn't too bad around NOLA, 4bdr 1500sf in a good middle-class westbank neighborhood could run around $800 if you shop.

There's work in the metros... but overall it's really kind of hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom