This is a thread about electronic cigarettes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently heard about these wacky things called "electronic cigarettes." They look like this:

ai.imgur.com_4ifzP.jpg

(I have the one on the far right except in a less-stupid color)

They're cigarette-shaped vaporizers. They take cartridges full of a liquid with nicotine and flavoring dissolved in it, then vaporize that liquid into a smoke-like vapor. The great part about this vapor is that it doesn't have all the deadly crap that cigarette smoke has in it; apart from that, the experience and user interface is pretty much the same as a cigarette.

I'm liking this a lot compared to cigarettes. The nicotine/dollar ratio is far higher (I worked it out to cutting my smoking costs per month in half), so I'm spending less money. It just emits an odorless water vapor, so I don't smell like a sleazy bar anymore and I can "smoke" wherever I want. It also doesn't deposit crap in my lungs so I've had a lot more energy and motivation ever since I've switched over. My senses of smell and taste have also come back! I tried smoking a "real" cigarette about a week ago and it tasted so bad I have no desire to go back anymore.

If you've been trying to quit smoking but couldn't pull it off I recommend giving one of these a shot. I got my starter kit for like $50 from this store, which is pretty small change compared to medical costs incurred by cancer or emphysema.

E: These are admittedly still unproven, and the FDA is cautioning people from using these as totally-safe cigarette alternatives. I admit that there is some risk involved in these things, but I find it difficult to believe that these could be as bad as or worse than all the crap in cigarette smoke.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I quit smoking a little more than 2 months ago with help from the nicotine patch.

I stopped using the patches about a week ago.

I want to smoke a cigarette right now! It's tough.

Fendar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried e-cigs, patches, wellbutrine, lozenges, I still think the best way to quit and stay quit it cold turkey. Everyone I know that has kicked the habit for good did it cold turkey.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I quit smoking a little more than 2 months ago with help from the nicotine patch.

I stopped using the patches about a week ago.

I want to smoke a cigarette right now! It's tough.

The thing with patches & gums & whatever is that they don't address the psychological aspects of cigarette addiction: the oral fixation, the need to be doing something with your hands, etc. E-cigarettes do.

I'm planning on quitting these at some point too but falling back on these is a little less deadly than falling back on cigarettes.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with patches & gums & whatever is that they don't address the psychological aspects of cigarette addiction: the oral fixation, the need to be doing something with your hands, etc. E-cigarettes do.

That is so true. That's why I bought some stir stiks - something to chew on and fiddle with.

Lot's of sugar free gum too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I totally agree with the need to keep your hands busy. Quitting cold turkey Oct 10, 1975 with a 2 pack a day habit, I really needed something to break the routine of hand to face.
After eating was the worst, so made it a habit to immediatly get away from the table, and do something with my hands like work on one of the vehicles, or whatever needed to be done that could make my brain and hands do something else. Retiring to the couch after dinner would not have worked in my case.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with the e-cigs is that they simply do not produce enough nicotine/smoke/whateve,r and they always go into "safe-mode" before I get anywhere with 'em....
(at least the brands I've tried)

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with the e-cigs is that they simply do not produce enough nicotine/smoke/whateve,r and they always go into "safe-mode" before I get anywhere with 'em....
(at least the brands I've tried)

Have you tried getting the liquid with more nicotine in it?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time I saw one of those, it was one that looks like a real cigarette, only I could tell it wasn't paper. I thought "The balls this dude has to walk around on the clock with that one-hitter hanging from his lips!" :spitlaugh

Latest posts

Top Bottom