Thoughts on current production Taurus revolvers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 608, first hand gun I ever bought. It worked flawlessly. Wish I’d kept it. Had a 9mm snub nose Taurus. Worked fine but hated that one. I got rid of them both due to the horrible da trigger pull, with no way to improve it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt all 6 "chambers" were different sizes.
Barrel got pinched down where it screwed into the frame. An issue you can read about often.
Fire lap the barrel to fix it.
My Smith & Wesson TALO stainless 357.One of these below.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...-magnum-7-round7-inch-talo-exclusive-revolver
Was also pinched in the barrel where it entered the frame.
I shoot cast lead and leading and accuracy was horrible in both to them.

I fire lapped both and accuracy greatly improved.

So quality control. Yea I have not seen it in my Ruger.
Got a Ruger .308 and it was miffed in the chamber like the finish reamer broke off or something.
Big gouge marks on my cases after firing and accuracy was bad.

I shoot cast 100gr in it now that does not expand my cases.

Ruger 10/22 I bought new a few years ago.
I could not empty the magazine without it jamming on me and accuracy was poor with everything.

Comparing it to an old Gill gun .22 and Model 60 .22 and my Squires Bingham 22.
All way more reliable and accurate.

Glad it is gone and glad the Ruger 45 Colt is gone.
No more Rugers or Smiths for me.

For the price I expect things to be spot on to the .0005" or better. Heck my engine machine shop guy can keep things tighter than that 1/2 a thousandths.

I read about all kinds of things to do the the 10/22 to make it more accurate.
I just traded it off for a .243 Savage.

I would not mind getting my hands on a Taurus and measure things.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt all 6 "chambers" were different sizes.
Barrel got pinched down where it screwed into the frame. An issue you can read about often.
Fire lap the barrel to fix it.
My Smith & Wesson TALO stainless 357.One of these below.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...-magnum-7-round7-inch-talo-exclusive-revolver
Was also pinched in the barrel where it entered the frame.
I shoot cast lead and leading and accuracy was horrible in both to them.

I fire lapped both and accuracy greatly improved.

So quality control. Yea I have not seen it in my Ruger.
Got a Ruger .308 and it was miffed in the chamber like the finish reamer broke off or something.
Big gouge marks on my cases after firing and accuracy was bad.

I shoot cast 100gr in it now that does not expand my cases.

Ruger 10/22 I bought new a few years ago.
I could not empty the magazine without it jamming on me and accuracy was poor with everything.

Comparing it to an old Gill gun .22 and Model 60 .22 and my Squires Bingham 22.
All way more reliable and accurate.

Glad it is gone and glad the Ruger 45 Colt is gone.
No more Rugers or Smiths for me.

For the price I expect things to be spot on to the .0005" or better. Heck my engine machine shop guy can keep things tighter than that 1/2 a thousandths.

I read about all kinds of things to do the the 10/22 to make it more accurate.
I just traded it off for a .243 Savage.

I would not mind getting my hands on a Taurus and measure things.

These are the only two Taurus Revolvers I want to buy. Taurus 605 Defender:

IMG_2214.jpeg

Then I also want this Taurus Judge Home Defender:

IMG_2215.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one has been flawless its whole existence. It is a 65 357 and has spent its life in a Jeep, hunting, four wheelers and UTV’s. No telling how many rounds through it, bunches!I have a 605 too, it works perfect. Both eat like starving pigmies. I have had several old Taurus Revolvers that worked as they should. Never owned a semi Taurus.

IMG_8317.png

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only 357 I have left is a Taurus 605 poly protector. I love the weight (20oz unloaded) of this gun for summer carry. No issues with this revolver at all except it doesn't seem to like heavy bullets. Well they shoot ok if 4 to 5 in groups are acceptable to you. Put 125 gn in it and it will tighten up under 2 inches at 15 yds. Maybe the recoil of the heavy loads is the difference, don't know but I'm keeping this one.
20231028_213813.jpg

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a "current" revolver, but I do have one Taurus revolver that I have had about 20 years. It doesn't get much use as I only use it for handgun hunting deer, I think it is called a "Tracker" (not sure and don't wan to pull it out to check) in .41 Magnum.
Anyway it has always performed flawlessly and I have taken many deer with it (mostly young does for the meat).
After all, Auntie Joy says if I use an AR it will destroy all the meat and I certainly don't want that!

GutsonBorglum

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I always try to buy quality. It might mean that you buy less often but a firearm can last for generations. Why not leave them something nice or something that will retain value better. If you are buying for self defense than quality definitely matters. The only time I would recommend otherwise would be if you have no or few firearms and need something or if it was just going to be tossed in a tool box and used as a plinker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom