thoughts on passing down guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have worried about this as well. I have no children of my own but I have talked to my brother about leaving them to his kids. I have made my wishes known that I want these firearms to remain in the family forever. I also plan on leaving a few to the children of some friends who look on me as one of their family.

On another forum I came across a thread on a good buy one of the forum members made on a "bubaized" Thompson Center hawkens kit. The builder had carved the date he put the kit together ,mid 80's i believe, and then carved in it to kids name from dad.
the other members were either talking about what a good buy it was or why someone would carve into a stock that way. I just felt sadness when I looked at it. My first thought was how could a person sell something their father had put together with his own hands. The carving in the stock would have been something I would have cherished.

Michael

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On another forum I came across a thread on a good buy one of the forum members made on a "bubaized" Thompson Center hawkens kit. The builder had carved the date he put the kit together ,mid 80's i believe, and then carved in it to kids name from dad.
the other members were either talking about what a good buy it was or why someone would carve into a stock that way. I just felt sadness when I looked at it. My first thought was how could a person sell something their father had put together with his own hands. The carving in the stock would have been something I would have cherished.

Michael

thats very sad. very very sad

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i was disscussing what i would leave to whom with one of my stepsons when he says wonder what i could get for them?
I'm sorry, but that is one of the most selfish, inconsiderate statements I ever heard in my life; I wouldn't give him jack after saying something like that. I would be tempted to give it to somebody that he wouldn't want having it, just to piss him off, lol. I just got off of night shift and I'm tired, so I may be over-reacting, lol, but that's how I feel right now.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is a very interesting read. I can appreciate every viewpoint expressed. This is obviously something a lot of members have thought a lot about.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think if something is going to be "passed down", that person should have to wait until 25-30 to get it. Unless at 18-25 they are already really mature and understand the "value" and significance of the item being passed along.

If that makes sense.

When my father passed he had at least 50 guns. We sold all but the ones my brothers and I started hunting with. THose where given to each of the boys and all of them but me sold them eventually because they don;t hunt and have familys of their own and need the space and money. I kept my shtogun that I took my first deer with and my dads favorite .22 revolver and I bought a 22 target pistol form my mother as well.

The moral of my story is that if the child doesn't ahve the same love for the guns as the parent it may not matter what you do with them.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far, my dad has given me a 10-22 and a Henry .22 lever action as gifts but I also have two other firearms that he's said are mine ever since I was a kid. One is a 1976 Ruger single six .22 and the other is my granfather's squirrel rifle. He was killed in a hunting accident when my dad was about 14 and one of his brothers ended up with the rifle. When my dad discovered it laying in the trunk of a car and beginning to rust, he simply confiscated it and kept it. Even though both are mine, I'm leaving them at my parent's house until I get a gunsafe.

mild bill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several guns but only 3 that have any real sentimental value, one was passed down from my Grandfather to my father then me, the other two belonged to my father and my mother. They will be passed down to son and then my grandson, who are as crazy about guns as I am, so I'm not worried about them,the rest are insurance for my wife when I leave this old world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom