thoughts on passing down guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friends who are getting older, including a dealer friend, who are gradually selling their collections off because their kids aren't interested, or worse, see the dollar signs that certain guns can bring and have already started placing dibs on guns.

My advice to the OP is this - if someone in your family really appreciates that common bond, give all your treasured guns to that person or persons. Otherwise they'll spend the rest of their lives trying to track down the guns that the stepson sold off. The junkers, the trade material, the stuff that we accumulate but that isn't terribly valuable or sentimentally important, sell it and spend the money.

And if none of your kids or grandkids are into shooting, then do your family a favor and start selling the guns off. Get the most out of them, and save the indignity of having the estate dumping a bunch of things you loved for a pittance just to settle your affairs. Your wife might hold onto them as sentimental items, but the scenario is the same, eventually the kids will dispose of them in all sorts of manners. She'd be better off with the money.

Finally, as someone else mentioned, you can give them to a close friend. Whatever you do, put it in writing! Don't leave it for someone else to sort out or leave you intentions or reasons unclear.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought provoking topic, my father has a 73 winchester that was my great grandfathers as well as a Remington 721 that my grandmother bought my grandfather after WWII, also an original superblackhawk that he bought new. Someday those guns will have to be split between my brother and myself. The 2 guns I own and value above all others are a single shot stevens 22 that my grandfather gave me when I was about 8 and a superblackhawk that was an 18th birthday present from my parents. I have several guns with more monetary value, butnone that are worth more to me.

mike

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they mean more than cash to you, give them to someone who cares .

A lot of good thinking here.
Getting a little long in tooth, I've considered this question many times lately.
One son is disabled, and cannot use a gun, and the other doesn't care.
Brings to mind the grandkids.....one doesn't care, and the others are too young to make a decision.
My wife doesn't shoot or care about the guns, other than the cash.

I have really put a ton of thought into each and every gun that I own. I love stories, and have a log of each guns history as far as I can find it.
If it has a story, its in the log.
To some a gun is just machined metal, others a treasured inheritance, others an object to be feared or loathed.

Perhaps, given to friends that treasure them like myself? (don't be tryin to friend me at this point:w000t:)
At this point I don't know.....Maybe have a double casket with a gun rack on one side and me on the other?????:rollingla:rollingla

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you don't want to just GIVE them away to someone that isn't family, you could give a good deal to someone that you feel respects their personal importantce. That way you get something out of it and feel it has found a good new home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom