Tornado Shelter for wheelchair bound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about below ground shelters. some of us howecer cannot get in one. So... what is the best alternative. If I got out of my chair my wife could not move me either in nor out.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did a cabinet job for a family that the mother was wheelchair bound. She had her pantry off her kitchen made into a GIANT roll in safe room. It was 10'x13' all concrete room with a full 36" steel door and heavy frame. That sucker had its own foundation and we were told rebar going both up and across on 9" centers all wrapped in 6" walls. It was nice to say the least. She had room to roll in, close the door, and be able to move around in. If I were to build a house I might seriously consider this as well. It also intrigued the prepper in me as you have a giant pantry that could already be stocked with BOBs and tons of food and water.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stan - I answered this in a different thread as well - so this may just be a repeat - but Ground Zero shelters installed my above-ground shelter in my garage. It is a large 1/4" steel walled box bolted to the concrete floor and it is, relatively speaking, easily accessed even by folks with limited mobility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom