Trailer Tires.....again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP. How heavy is your trailer and how fast you driving. I see most people in OK pulling all sorts of trailers at 80mph. Don't know their trailer weights but pretty sure there are no trailer tires or trailer manufactures that would stand behind their product being towed at 80mph. When I moved to OK I used my 24' enclosed cargo trailer that was loaded just at or a tad over it's gvwr. I towed at 65mph most of the time and carried 3 spares on rims and 3 more tires just in case. Yes, 6 total spares. And of course never got a flat in the 7000 miles towed.

Estimate 10k fully loaded. Fuel, tools , ice chest, four batteries, generator. Mostly 75 mph. 2000 mile round trip to Lake Powell for 7 days. I like the idea of more than one spare. I had a blow out on the 3 rd year on a set and it did a number on the fender. I watching the many comments here and will post later on what I end up with. Gonna try to find something at Discount Tire and avoid Hibdon due to poor reviews. Trailer is iron. 6" type S, C channel. Pretty heavy I suspect. Made by Stones on 10th street while they were still around. Never figured out what happened to them.
1687402333155.jpeg

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
plenty of LT tires in 225 75 16,,,get a pair made for highway or load carrying,, there is also a higher load rated tire than LT,, the C (cargo, commercial) tire,plenty in 225 75 16,, all i have seen in C are for Heavy load carrying and would do good on a trailer or back of a truck with a heavy load.
This is what I wanted for my 'truck' but the guy at Sam's said there was no LT tire rated E. But I found LT27516's, E123, on their web site. He was not informed. And they won't put passenger tires on trailers either. Like most of the big store won't. As mention earlier. When looking at these newer 'load and speed'
ratings its seems that they are making it difficult to get spot on correct with what we select. Therefore releasing the seller from liability. 6 mph difference from type M to N. Come on man. Are tires that fine tuned?

1687404067812.png

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Estimate 10k fully loaded. Fuel, tools , ice chest, four batteries, generator. Mostly 75 mph. 2000 mile round trip to Lake Powell for 7 days. I like the idea of more than one spare. I had a blow out on the 3 rd year on a set and it did a number on the fender. I watching the many comments here and will post later on what I end up with. Gonna try to find something at Discount Tire and avoid Hibdon due to poor reviews. Trailer is iron. 6" type S, C channel. Pretty heavy I suspect. Made by Stones on 10th street while they were still around. Never figured out what happened to them.
View attachment 386672
find a scale where the farmers weigh their semi trucks. run that across the scale axle by axle and record your weights.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a hoss of a boat. Pull her through a feed store that has scales or a truck stop sometime at see what it weighs. It absolutely would not surprise me for the manufacturer not to put heavy enough tires on it. I pull lots of trailers. I’ve always preferred 14ply tires with the highest speed rating I can find and I keep my tires aired to the max. My newest trailer (2017) is a triple axle stock trailer with 17.5” solid steel wheels and 16 ply tires aired to 120psi. I’m sold on them. That trailer gets twisted around getting into tight spots and a triple is always skidding tires sideways. It’s very hard on all components especially loaded. I’ll gradually swap everything over to them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put Goodyear Endurance (made in USA) trailer tires on my 16' cargo trailer early fall of 2020. It has now towed from CA to NE to OK and back again 3X without issue....and most of that is 80mph. They look fine now, but I may replace them out of caution before this fall's hunting trip.

Just my personal experience and $0.02 worth...
We spend 6-7 months a year pulling an 5th wheel RV for about 7 years now that weighs around 15,000 pounds loaded.
The tires that came on it were cheap china bombs that typically blow up, rated for 60 mph, and cause thousands of dollars of damage when doing so.
We did tons of research on RV forums finally deciding to go with the Goodyear Endurance tires. If they blow which they do not, they are designed to not sling tread to do additional damage to the RV.
Goodyear Endurance tires are rated for 88 mph that we never get close to.
Trailer tires are a different animal than automotive tires, designed to use on trailers vs auto's because they build the sidewalls thicker to handle the scrubbing when the tandem axle goes around a corner.
Auto tires don't require that capability as they don't scrub.
I'll leave it to the experts to explain it further.

https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-tires-truck-tires/

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
find a scale where the farmers weigh their semi trucks. run that across the scale axle by axle and record your weights.
The co-op in Wayne turns the readout on their scales around when they close so farmers (or anybody who wants to drive across them) can weigh stuff after hours. Dunno if that's a widespread practice or not, though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The co-op in Wayne turns the readout on their scales around when they close so farmers (or anybody who wants to drive across them) can weigh stuff after hours. Dunno if that's a widespread practice or not, though.
I have a private corn facility a mile south of me that leaves the scale on and a grain elevator 2 miles from me and they always leave theirs on as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom