Unemployment Abuse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I work at a local branch of a very large global corporation.
We have had a run of very poor quality employees in my area of the branch, over the last two years. Every employee we have haired has proven to blatantly more lazy than the last. I blame both the low pay offered for the job attracting these lesser motivated applicants, and more importantly,failure of our branch manager to motivate through reward and discipline.

I would like to talk about a situation that happened at my work; note that much of what I am saying is repeating information that my supervisor had mentioned to me off the record.

Around September our branch manager hired a woman I believe is in her mid to late 40's; to fast track her to a position of authority built around decreasing my supervisors hours and increasing productivity of the the entry level employees in our area. It took 3 weeks to train this woman (like it does for every new hire) the basics and safety that must be gone over before she could actually start being trained the position she would work in.
Once in the position she proved a slow learner, and started to complain about the hours which had been previously discussed with no room for misinterpretation, it was made very clear before she took the job, what the hours would be; and what her tasks would be.
After a few weeks of on the job training in her position, she leaves early one afternoon with the branch assistant manager, to go to the emergency room because she said she was having a "mild heart attack". The followup came out that it was not a heart attack, but that maybe she strained a muscle "lifting something", but that she was cleared to work. Whatever medical situation happened she had no documentation giving her leave for absence, or discouraging her from returning to work. She does no return to work, and does not call in either; The branch manager calls to see why she is not at work. She has no excuse, and no documentation; but says she is going to be bringing her work provided supplies and uniforms back to return them later that evening. I cannot express this enough; She was NOT FIRED. SHE on her own simply said she was returning her uniforms and supplies. She quit... She was taken to the emergency room, seen by a doctor, told there was nothing wrong, and was cleared to return to work immediately. she did not come to work the next day, and after being a no call no show, the boss calls her to find out why she is not there, and she quit.

Fast forward to a couple weeks form today, and my supervisor mentions having learnt that this employee filed for unemployment for being fired; and that it was not going to be disproved by the company because "since its government money and her getting it wont cost the company anymore than it already has; but that fighting the claim would cost the company money, he guessed that is why they wont argue against her getting unemployment". He also went on to mention that when she was being interviewed and when the branch manager was discussing weather or not to hire her with my supervisor, that my supervisor had expressed concern over the ladies employment history having many jobs with little time spent at those jobs and long gaps between them.

To me this sounds like a blatant abuse of the unemployment system, and I personally want her dealt with; but feel I am powerless to do anything about it. I doubt it is legal for me to even have herd so much about what all was going on with this former employee. I get the impression that this woman is a con artist of some sort, and has made her living finding ways to keep getting back on unemployment and probably every other form of assistance and welfare possible.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you have a problem with an individual that "might" be working the system. However, your company has a bigger problem with individuals that do the hiring not knowing how to evaluate an applicant. A work history like what you have described with this person should have been a red flag to anyone really interested in finding quality employees, especially for one to be "fast tracked" to a position of authority.

Who knows, that may also answer why they chose not to challenge the person's claims for unemployment.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't cost anything to fight it as much as I know about the process, all you have to do is submit the termination paperwork that should have been correctly filled out after she voluntarily quit.

When I got laid off from my most recent job, they actually requested a copy from my employer, and had a copy of my lay off/termination letter I signed my last day, which is why I was eligible.

When I was working on my last rig 4 years ago or so, my rig moved from just south of the OKC metro, to Kansas right after my son was born, I quit so I wouldn't have to be living away from home (along with additional reasons). I filed for unemployment, but was denied because I voluntarily left, even with my "job" moving out of state. I was notified within a week, so it happened pretty quick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't cost anything to fight it as much as I know about the process, all you have to do is submit the termination paperwork that should have been correctly filled out after she voluntarily quit.

When I got laid off from my most recent job, they actually requested a copy from my employer, and had a copy of my lay off/termination letter I signed my last day, which is why I was eligible.

When I was working on my last rig 4 years ago or so, my rig moved from just south of the OKC metro, to Kansas right after my son was born, I quit so I wouldn't have to be living away from home (along with additional reasons). I filed for unemployment, but was denied because I voluntarily left, even with my "job" moving out of state. I was notified within a week, so it happened pretty quick.

This is what happens 99.9% of the time.

If the employee can prove discrimination, or attempting to form a Union and being dismiss for either, they have a case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom