United States Military Academy Appointment Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't reply to everyone, but I want to thank you all for giving me your congratulations and best wishes. It means a lot!

Congratulations!
Now, think ahead. Take your time but get in the best possible shape prior to your departure. The focus is on durability- (Think APFT, 12 mile walk with 40-60kg, then a run of unknown distance or obstical course, followed by a busy day of basic skills and more fun). When you're tired/fatigued, stressed and can't seem to see the light at the end of whatever daily tunnel you find yourself, being in better shape than those to your left and right will make it a whole bunch easier on you. Never, ever, show up at a service school chubby and out of shape. Those that do, attract all sorts of bad attention upon themselves.

PS- Fight for Infantry branch. The best leadership opportunities await.

I appreciate the advice! I visited a gym today and plan on getting a membership. I'm not in my best shape right now, but I'm going to spend the next five months getting there.
I don't know what I'll branch, but I definitely want combat arms. Infantry is high on the list.

Congratulations!

Thanks, squid!

Congrats.

We had a bunch of West Point grads for my Infantry Regiment when we stood it up in 2007 but I really wasn't that impressed with them even compared to the OCS guys. Most went from 2nd LT to Capt. from the time they arrived at the unit around April of 2007 and were promoted near the end of our Kunar Province tour in June of 2009. Most also got out once their initial contract was up.

Hey Sub, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with some USMA graduates. I hope I can be remembered as an effective leader. If we stop letting go of captains and majors (and I love serving in the Army as much as I expect), I plan on staying in as long as I feel I'm making a difference.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats.

We had a bunch of West Point grads for my Infantry Regiment when we stood it up in 2007 but I really wasn't that impressed with them even compared to the OCS guys. Most went from 2nd LT to Capt. from the time they arrived at the unit around April of 2007 and were promoted near the end of our Kunar Province tour in June of 2009. Most also got out once their initial contract was up.

Here's the basic facts behind what you observed: promotion to CPT at the 3.5 years in service mark means they attend their branch advanced course (6 mos.) and are sent to another unit for further branch qualification by getting a company/battery command. The command time is 18-24 mos. of a 3-year tour and the rest of the time is in a staff position. Somewhere in this sequence, they will complete their 5-year contract and likely complete a masters degree, too. These factors combine to make them highly employable in corporate America: demonstrated combat leadership at various times/levels, education, staff time, etc. The officer is then looking at other similar cycles if the choice is to stay in the military, hopefully to make the promotion cut to major. With the reduction in forces, that's an even tougher cut today than previously. So, I'm in my late 20s, have hit all the marks that make me appear marketable to corporate America, and choose to cast my lot in civilian world.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats man! Just being accepted in an honor! Basic will be fun, but remember the upperclassmen are just playing head games and will be your friends after the first year.

BTW..... This will date me.... Mickey Edwards called me for my appointment to USAFA.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well done! After seeing a few friends get into the AF academy, I can say that you've done the easy part. Now you're up for what is going to be one hell of a tough year, followed by some less difficult, but nowhere near easy, years. A few of my friends punched after realizing it just wasn't for them. I'm not saying this to scare you or demotivate you...quite the opposite actually. You're heading into what is probably going to be a series of the most difficult things you've ever done, and it will be hell at times. When you've beaten those mountains and crushed those training barriers, you'll really start to get an idea of what you're all about. You'll be proud of yourself and your team. Always remember, when you're spent, there's always a little more in the tank. When you give it all you have, you'll probably realize that you actually had a little more in you when it's done, so use that next time. You're going to a place that has generated some of our Nation's finest men, try to live up to those standards and you'll succeed. Also, remember that you owe it to those you'll someday lead to bust your ass. I always saw my military training as paying my dues so I can grow as a leader and be worthy of leading the awesome guys that will work under me. I see it as working for them, as their boss. That's a trait that I've seen in my favorite bosses in my short few years.

Kick its ass, man!

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outfreakingstanding.

As many have said, the next four years will probably be some of the toughest mentally and physically that you will ever have to endure.
There is a reason for that.

I'm sure your parents are walking on cloud 9 and a more than a few buttons have popped of your Dad's shirt.

You are about to get one of the greatest educational experiences money can not buy.

First year will be the toughest, but will forge you in ways you can't image.

Dave

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can only call me a squid when army finally beats navy :pms2:

Look forward to saluting you one day

December 12. :P

Well done! After seeing a few friends get into the AF academy, I can say that you've done the easy part. Now you're up for what is going to be one hell of a tough year, followed by some less difficult, but nowhere near easy, years. A few of my friends punched after realizing it just wasn't for them. I'm not saying this to scare you or demotivate you...quite the opposite actually. You're heading into what is probably going to be a series of the most difficult things you've ever done, and it will be hell at times. When you've beaten those mountains and crushed those training barriers, you'll really start to get an idea of what you're all about. You'll be proud of yourself and your team. Always remember, when you're spent, there's always a little more in the tank. When you give it all you have, you'll probably realize that you actually had a little more in you when it's done, so use that next time. You're going to a place that has generated some of our Nation's finest men, try to live up to those standards and you'll succeed. Also, remember that you owe it to those you'll someday lead to bust your ass. I always saw my military training as paying my dues so I can grow as a leader and be worthy of leading the awesome guys that will work under me. I see it as working for them, as their boss. That's a trait that I've seen in my favorite bosses in my short few years.

Kick its ass, man!

Outfreakingstanding.

As many have said, the next four years will probably be some of the toughest mentally and physically that you will ever have to endure.
There is a reason for that.

I'm sure your parents are walking on cloud 9 and a more than a few buttons have popped of your Dad's shirt.

You are about to get one of the greatest educational experiences money can not buy.

First year will be the toughest, but will forge you in ways you can't image.

Dave

These two posts in particular are really inspiring. Thank you, gentleman.

Latest posts

Top Bottom