Unmarked police cars in Tulsa…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday on 169 near 61st Street S, I passed a medium blue SUV with hidden emergency lights going, parked behind a victim on the shoulder. Probably doing traffic enforcement.

This morning, also on 169, I passed a black SUV, also with hidden emergency lights activated, parked behind another victim on the shoulder. Neither SUV was marked in any way.

Who made the decision to allow TPD (at least, I assume that’s who it was, though neither vehicle showed it) to use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement? I think it’s a despicable, sneaky, underhanded stunt which can only damage the image of the department. I’m all for the use of unmarked vehicles for homicide investigations, drugs, child trafficking, and other such duties, but not for traffic enforcement. Use clearly marked cars for that. So who made the decision, does anyone know?
I wonder how despicable, sneaky, and underhanded stunt you would think it was if you or a loved one had been injured by a reckless driver that was not stopped by an unmarked unit??? The best advice is, don’t break traffic laws and you don’t have to be concerned. As far as impeding traffic, that is up to the driver being stopped as to where he/she pulls over at. If anyone is at odds with this TPD policy, contact your local councilman and make your case. Or better yet, join TPD, and work to change the policy/tactics THAT SAVE LIVES. Not very many drivers operate a motor vehicle in a reckless manner when a marked unit is around. With unmarked units a driver should be a little more sensible when driving…..

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if its a City ticket, only like $3 dollars goes to the city, so that argument holds no water anywhere. Most traffic enforcement programs are also federally or state funded, and the dept gets grant money to cover the officers time.
So, they don’t get a significant amount of money from the ticket, but they’re getting paid by the state and/or Feds to write tickets in unmarked cars.

So unmarked cars are there for revenue enhancement. It’s just not direct revenue enhancement from the tickets themselves. That’s a distinction without a difference.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m running an unmarked personal vehicle. No plates or tags. That way the police can’t run my plates and therefore they can’t pull me over. It’ll work 😎
if u are black u can put a bumper sticker on the back that says " i do not pull over for or speak to or respond to white cops!!"

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not very many drivers operate a motor vehicle in a reckless manner when a marked unit is around. With unmarked units a driver should be a little more sensible when driving…..

You just made an argument for using marked vehicles for traffic enforcement, rather than unmarked units. Drivers should be a little more sensible, but we all know that’s not going to happen. So step up the presence of clearly marked units in traffic enforcement, and leave the unmarked units to undercover work involving drugs, homicides, stakeouts, and the like.

I still haven’t gotten an answer though from anyone in this thread regarding my original question - who made the decision for TPD to use unmarked units for traffic enforcement?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just made an argument for using marked vehicles for traffic enforcement, rather than unmarked units. Drivers should be a little more sensible, but we all know that’s not going to happen. So step up the presence of clearly marked units in traffic enforcement, and leave the unmarked units to undercover work involving drugs, homicides, stakeouts, and the like.

I still haven’t gotten an answer though from anyone in this thread regarding my original question - who made the decision for TPD to use unmarked units for traffic enforcement?
Probably the Chief and City mgr.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Besides the motorcycles, all of the TPD traffic cops are unmarked Taurus and Explorers and have been like that for quite a few years.
Don't know about the rules of today, But in yesteryear, If the vehicle was unmarked, the officer had to be in uniform. That sprung up from all the fake cops pulling over people in the news.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They've had unmarked cars forever, Back in the 70's you learned real quick to spot a unmarked Dodge Charger, challenger, police interceptor or whatever they were called.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And they wonder why some people dont want to pullover and i dont blame them never know who is behind the wheel of that unmarked car. Some states has laws against unmarked cars doing traffic but i dont quess Okla is one of them.
They can use them so long as they are in the regular uniform with all the appropriate patches and insignia.
IMG_7028.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem isn't whether I'm breaking the law or not and whether I "deserved" to get pulled over.
If you're gonna say, "just don't break the law", and I say, "OK I won't", then what should I think is going on if I get pulled over by an unmarked vehicle since to my knowledge, there is no reason for me to be pulled over. I'm wondering who is it.
When unmarked cars are used to pull people over for traffic issues, the door is open for anybody with a flashing light to pull people over. Traffic stops should only be made by marked units.
If you feel unsafe in the situation you have described above before pulling over call 911 and advise the dispatcher you feel unsafe and the circumstances and your location. Tell them you have slowed down and put your flashers on but will not stop until it is determined the officer is real. If you see several units assisting the one trying to stop you, please stop.

Do not try to plead your case to the dispatcher. The unit behind you may have another reason to stop you other than traffic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom