Wall Insulation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am building some living quarters inside of a metal building and I just started framing up the inside walls. The metal building has 8" purlins and I framed up the walls with 2x4's so, I have 12" of space that I need to fill with insulation.

I am planning on just putting 2 layers thick of batt insulation made for 2x6 walls, but I figured I would get some suggestions. Obviously, the spray foam insulation would be the best route and offer the most R value, but from the comparisons that I have been getting it is about 5X more expensive and this project is meant to be as cheap as possible.

Suggestions?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you thought about blown in fiberfill? Where they staple netting over your studs and blow it in. It fills every void unlike bats and is much cheaper than foam.

That's what I have in my house.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Batts, cellulose or net & blow fiberglass are the best for your situation. Spray foam (Icynene or the like) is the best, but unless you started construction with the whole house system of insulation in mind (of which there are many factors) you will not see any additional large benefits from the foam insulation.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I have thought about the blown in fiberfill/cellulose but it wont work on my setup. Once you put the net up, you have to blown it in from the top and there is a 8" purlin that is about at the halfway mark on the stud wall and that would keep the insulation from going into the bottom part of the wall.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me that the purlin is going to be a transmitter of heat in the summer and cold in the winter unless there is some way to isolate it from the outside and inside walls. I've never seen that done before.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do the spray foam! Absolutely. I built & own a climate controlled ministorage that has the fiberglass bats. The fiberglass is better than nothing...but this place is a wind tunnel in the winter!! The spray foam insulation will fill the cracks and seal the living quarters from the wind and snow. SPEND the money!! Do it right the first time. If you don't use spray foam, you will be sorely disappointed....I am....I should have used spray foam around my office & living quarters. Metal buildings are more drafty than wood construction. Do the spray foam. Heating bills are not getting any cheaper. You will thank me this winter. If you don't believe me, come by and we can hold a candle to the doors, floor sill, windows, etc. USE SPRAY FOAM!

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved into my new house a few months ago. I went the spray foam route and it cost twice batt & fill. My house is very climate controlled compared to any other place I have lived. No drafts to be found...I love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom