Warren Buffett buys Tulsa World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything beats the Lortons...

Buffett's long time practice is that he buys businesses that he likes and leaves existing management in place. A large percentage of his buys are family owned and run businesses that must sell for estate planning purposes. You know - the business is worth $$$, the family has not got 50% of $$$ to pay the estate tax when the owner dies, so they sell. Buffett's support for high estate taxes is cynical good business.

I expect that Buffett's plan is to leave the Lortons in place.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who reads newspapers anymore??? That's just crazy considering he's such a smart investor.

I don't get it... any newspaper these days seems like a bad investment.

Are there other factors we might not know about?

Well, a good number of people still reads them, if only digitally. I check it every so often until I reach my quota of free articles and the paywall shuts me down for the month. Either the paywall is actually making them good money, or Buffett thinks they can sell enough ads or get enough other revenue that he can turn it around.

Also, Sunday printed papers still make money, especially recently with the coupon craze in full swing.

So... who knows what's brewing in Omaha.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt invest in newpapers even with other people's money. It doesnt make sense to me. I would hate to see Tulsa not have a newspaper, but on the otherhand, I never look at it unless its been left on a table for free in a restaurant, and would not pay to read it online either since all the news I want is free on the rest of the net.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt invest in newpapers even with other people's money. It doesnt make sense to me. I would hate to see Tulsa not have a newspaper, but on the otherhand, I never look at it unless its been left on a table for free in a restaurant, and would not pay to read it online either since all the news I want is free on the rest of the net.

That depends on the type of news you're looking for. Most newspaper pay walls don't charge for national and international news for that reason, but they do charge for local content. Especially local sports content. Scores are easy to come by, but more detailed local news is where they feel they set themselves apart.

Online readership is up, but newspapers are still big with older people, especially white males, which tulsa has a lot of. It's not a bad market since there is also very little competition. My guess is that Buffett knows what he is doing.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, it is pretty much there already.

I agree. With the exception of Bill Sherman their religion writer, it's been left of center for years now.

I pay for a "weekend" which somehow also forces me to pay for Thursday and Friday. I mostly just want the local access and the Sunday advertisements. I get my monies worth just on those Fuji dinner coupons alone. :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom