WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loathe cleaning guns. But, when I do I don’t use WD40. I’ve got two shotguns a buddy brought me right now. I’m pretty sure they were put away 30 some years ago with WD40.
It works great for getting bugs off the front of your vehicle after they have crashed!

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the best cleaner in the world- good for gum and latex paint- and doesn't dry you skin out like paint thinner. I had an old Rem 66 nylon 22 I use to take to the pond with me and shoot turtles and snakes. One day it started to sprinkle so I headed to the shop aand put the fishing gear up but layed that 22 on the cover for my well and ran to the house before the rain started. I cooked some breakfast and sitting there eating a the rain really started coming down. It hit me that I had left the 22 out in the rain. I ran out and got it- water coming out of it everywhere. I about emptied a can of wd40 through it and blowing it out with air. never had any trouble with it but that was probally the best cleaning i ever gave that old dude.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 30 years ago I was at our deer camp and another hunter came over and asked me to fix his 742 Remington. Said it wouldn’t fire at all. First thing I asked him was what kind of oil he used. He said wd 40. I told him to come back in a couple of hours. When you pulled the trigger there was a very noticeable delay before you heard a very light click. I rinsed it out with coleman fuel a few times. Oiled it and it was fine. Easy fix for a 5th of Makers Mark. I also told him to quit using that crap

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 30 years ago I was at our deer camp and another hunter came over and asked me to fix his 742 Remington. Said it wouldn’t fire at all. First thing I asked him was what kind of oil he used. He said wd 40. I told him to come back in a couple of hours. When you pulled the trigger there was a very noticeable delay before you heard a very light click. I rinsed it out with coleman fuel a few times. Oiled it and it was fine. Easy fix for a 5th of Makers Mark. I also told him to quit using that crap
Makers was a very generous reward!

Latest posts

Top Bottom