Well that was fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny; I played soccer and baseball as a kid, and I only remember one incident involving a dumbass parent in all those years. This guy kept running his yap in about as abusive of a manner as you could imagine, and the ref warned him several times, then finally stopped the game and made him leave. As I recall, the yammerhead kept at it until the ref finally threatened to call a forfeit if he didn't remove himself from the area.

My nieces and nephews play in the Sapulpa rec league, so they play all over the Tulsa area (if you expand "Tulsa area" to include Bartlesville and Tahlequah), and I've been pleasantly surprised how generally supportive the parents are. There was one, umm, overly opinionated dude, but even he seems to have mellowed out.

That's not to say that the parents don't occasionally get frustrated and say things they shouldn't, but there's a lot more positivity coming from them.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same now as in past. It depends on the Coach and Umpires keeping control and people in line. I seen the same things as kid as I see now. True story that can be confirmed by OKCPD spokesperson Master Sergeant Gary Knight (on TV unfortunately regularly). At the age of twelve (1976) I was pitching a game in Del City. On the opposing team there was a real B mother that ran her mouth to an annoyance level beyond both teams tolerance. Her son was just like her and throughout the game she and her son spewed direct comments to me, the pitcher (not allowed by rule). An umpire warning was repeatedly directed to her but without enforcement. We were a better team and they were trying to shake me up to get an advantage and hopeful win. I was really pissed off even though we won the game. Gary, also angered like others, recognized this in me and approached me just prior to the post game handshakes at home plate. He offered me a nickel (5 cents) to turf the kid at the plate. That was all I needed, a bubble gum push to the dark side. At the apex moment, in front of all eyes at the center of the plate, I punched that kid in the sternum and dropped him to the ground. I then turned and stared at his mom in the bleachers. This initially was not a proud moment for my parents If a picture was taken then, it would show the condemnation of the mother and what she had brought on her own son. My arm was immediately grabbed by the umpire, and I was marched to the office where I was given a three-game suspension. Nobody said much later but there were a few soft pats on the back and under toned smiles from the parents of our team. I believe in that moment, where unsportsmanlike conduct respectfully flourished, the dreams of many were fulfilled.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is usually THAT ONE, but coaches and umpires can / should control it.

On another note: I was umpire for a 10-12yo game. My daughter (5yo) was sitting at the backstop. Other kids, around her age, started gathering and playing. About the middle of 4th inning, daughter asks me for a quarter for a snow cone.
Inning ends and I hear

"Is your Daddy the Ump?"
"Yes"

"My brother is the pitcher."

My brother is 2nd base."

My brother is about to bat."

My Dad says he likes to HUMP, but he only HUMPS at home. He needs to practice HUMPING before he can HUMP in front of everybody."

The stands are hysterical, except 1 woman, who is beet red, hiding her face, in her hands.

I calmly ask, "who's boy is this? If his Dad would like help, I would be glad to instruct him."

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your game accounts make me believe that little league games are much better and fun than MLB!
They are better in many ways. It's where boys become men. Provided they have good coaches. But most importantly they learn many of life's hard lessons (symbolically if well explained) earlier than when compared to other youth activities, in a setting that's safe from penalties they would endure later in life. Pick a subject of importance and it's there. Politics, work ethic, responsibility, etc., etc. I'm glad I was in that environment and I think my kids would say the same. Mostly I'm glad I wasn't given trophy for poor production and didn't condone this act with my children. Otherwise my thinking would be "As a Swiss-Kraut-Polack, when is it my turn to be President?"

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are better in many ways. It's where boys become men. Provided they have good coaches. But most importantly they learn many of life's hard lessons (symbolically if well explained) earlier than when compared to other youth activities, in a setting that's safe from penalties they would endure later in life. Pick a subject of importance and it's there. Politics, work ethic, responsibility, etc., etc. I'm glad I was in that environment and I think my kids would say the same. Mostly I'm glad I wasn't given trophy for poor production and didn't condone this act with my children. Otherwise my thinking would be "As a Swiss-Kraut-Polack, when is it my turn to be President?"
As opposed to MLB, where men may become women or unicorns...

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One young lady who’s’ tool was quickness and speed found out what it was to be shorter more sluggish and slower than your opponent. She did lots of slapping at arms and pushing all to no avail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom