West Norman shooting yesterday; shooter was CLEET instructor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Method

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, to follow up, it looks like the defendant family member's claim on here from last year that the 'NRA took the case' sounds rather doubtful. (The NRA protects the deep pocketed gun manufacturers, not gun owners.)

Thanks for the updates.

Method

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thing is, and I've slept since then so I might be misremembering, but I swear there is video footage of the Kottka walking BACK to the other guy's car. It was BEHIND him -- not in front of him. Wonder if that footage is still floating around ... BRB ...

Edit: Ehhhhh either all the news stations have scrubbed their reports or my Google-fu is weak. Probably both.

I also don't know if he asked for a jury trial or a judge's ruling. Might be too early yet. I'm really fuzzy on time frames without my chest sheet. And I didn't do that much criminal work anyway so I'm probably the least knowledgeable person on OSA about what's coming down the pike for this fella.
No video footage at all of the actual incident, if I remember correctly.

Method

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could have sworn someone who heard yelling took some video footage but ... Like I said, I've slept since then. 🤷
I'm not talking about video footage of the aftermath; that exists from the police body cams (unless they were mysteriously broken or turned off as they sometimes are). The most meaningful video would be of the altercation itself. Unless I'm mistaken, that never existed to begin with.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The motion to dismiss based on self defense has been denied…The court ruled that Kottka willingly engaged in a confrontation by stopping his vehicle (he was not blocked in), getting out of his vehicle, and confronting the deceased.

https://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetDocument.aspx?ct=cleveland&bc=1057556500&cn=CF-2023-1149&fmt=pdf
Well, at least we finally get to hear the court’s version of the testimony of the witnesses, if not their testimony directly. It sounds like all of the accounts that the court found credible largely agreed with each other and mostly disagreed with the defense counsel’s assertions.

There’s a lesson here for anyone who carries in Oklahoma—if you believe you’re justified in shooting, you had better damn well be right, because it’s a very thin line between justified shooting and murder one.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, at least we finally get to hear the court’s version of the testimony of the witnesses, if not their testimony directly. It sounds like all of the accounts that the court found credible largely agreed with each other and mostly disagreed with the defense counsel’s assertions.

There’s a lesson here for anyone who carries in Oklahoma—if you believe you’re justified in shooting, you had better damn well be right, because it’s a very thin line between justified shooting and murder one.
I don’t think the line is that thin really…At least it isn’t in this case.

The lesson is, if you are armed, don’t willingly engage in a confrontation and then use your gun to bail yourself out of it.

If Kottka had been blocked in, unable to move his vehicle, and the deceased was smashing his driver’s side window in when he shot him, the self defense claim would hold. None of that happened LOL.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The motion to dismiss based on self defense has been denied…The court ruled that Kottka willingly engaged in a confrontation by stopping his vehicle (he was not blocked in), getting out of his vehicle, and confronting the deceased.

https://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetDocument.aspx?ct=cleveland&bc=1057556500&cn=CF-2023-1149&fmt=pdf

Based on the document, I wonder how things would be now if Kottka had just admitted to being hot headed and lacking judgment after the shooting occurred.

Latest posts

Top Bottom