What age do you think it is appropriate to teach a child to shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it depends on the kid. as fathers we can't wait for our sons to start shooting with us, but it really depends on the kid.

the other day a fellow wanted to introduce his 10 y/o son to skeet. even bought a nice benellie auto shot gun for him. kid not interestsed and i think scared. i can't tell you what is previous training had been, had he been taught on a .22, i don't know.

but, we have a scholastic clays youth program, and there are 9 and 10 y/o who have been trained, and i trust them shooting a round of skeet on our fields by themselves. but a lot of training went into it before they were turned loose.

above all do not push your kids if they are not interested.

just my opinion.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my first 22 around age 7 or 8. Was taking NRA marksmanship classes not long after. My 8 yr old son has a 10-22 and a Heritage 22 revolver. Looking at building up a Marlin 60 for my 6 yr old daughter.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Start them young!!! Take away the mystery of the gun(Unloaded of course). When I was an LEO my 3yr old son was always touching it in its holster. I unloaded it, handed it to him, showed him how to aim, where not to point it, and that he could look at any of my guns as long as he asks first. 9yrs later, and lots of talks, training, shooting an cleaning, along with his sister, they have no desire to handle out of curiosity unless its something new, which they still ask to see first. My son now has his personal list of what he wants to shoot when we get ready for the range, even though he has his own guns(They still stay in my safe). My daughter will go shoot, and enjoys it, but not a gunnut yet as my son is.

I got my first rifle(which I still have) 43yrs ago, and had been shooting and hunting squirrels, and rabbits for two years prior to that. My first shotgun was given the next year as an early Christmas present so I could go Quail hunting and to Dove shoots. I still have that too.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you find a headset and protective eyewear that he/she can wear to protect their eyes and ears? If so, then you can teach them the proper safety guidelines of gun handling. As long as they have their hearing and sight protected, that is the main thing. My dad never really talked about wearing hearing protection and I have some hearing loss in one of my ears now.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my son already holding targets for me. Getting him not to flinch is the hard part. :buttkick:

I'm hoping by 5 I can get my son to the range with me. Maybe not shooting just watching. Evaluate from then on how he does. We will start out in the backyard with the bb gun first. Then move up to the .50 BMG.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got to agree with the majority. My dad started me at about 4 which was over 50 years ago. I started my son and daughter at 5 or so. My daughter got her hunter saftey card at 10. I had many great days at the range and in the woods with both of them. Close supervision (within arms length) is the rule!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just as soon as they know what end the bullet comes out, and the meaning of safe or not safe. I used to run traps by myself at age 8-9, with an ancient drp block .22 that required a pocket knife to get the .22 short out of. Makes you a good shot if that is all you got. Granted this ways Way over 30 years ago, in an oklahoma farm community, but I think it is my responsibility to teach my sons and daughters about how guns work, safety and how the weapons operate for their safety and defense.
There are kids my 8 yr olds age in africa that are fighting already. But on the other hand, we need to let our kids be kids, if they aren't interested right now, then give them some time.. you might be surprised one day while cleaning a weapon that one of the kids just comes over and sits down and watches or asks questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom