What brand of dog food do you feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacardi

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. Kirklands makes food that does not contain grains, Exceed contains a high volume of corn. In addition, there are other products in Exceed that are controversial through the FDA such as including vitamin K (this is given to animals following rodenticide toxicity...does that not concern anyone????)

Exceed: Lamb, brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal, ground whole grain sorghum, ground barley, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of vitamin E), dried plain beet pulp, ground flaxseed, natural flavor, monocalcium phosphate, brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, zinc oxide, fructooligosaccarides, nacin, vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

As compared to:

Kirkland: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, dried chicory root, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Edited to add: I'd just like to throw in here that I feed three 50 pound working dogs for $40 (a grand total) per month on a raw diet that is far superior to a pet receiving corn and treatment for a toxicity they did not receive (unless the food company added it in there for free). If cost and ingredient content are most important, I'd recommend this diet over Exceed any day.

Thanks for the detail breakdown...No doubt the raw diet is the best. Some of us can't and some of us don't want to deal with the raw food diet and prefer the ease of kibble. While I prefer not to pick up poop, it takes me less then 3 minutes a week. It's one thing if you're already a trapper or hunter and give the scraps it's another to have to buy it at the supermarket and go through the prep work not to mention feed time. Guessing Exceed is at least 80% better then what most people feed there dogs.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ Here is the link, it is a pretty informative site, made me change my thinking about what I was feeding.

Funny that you posted this, I didn't see your post before I started looking at that site a couple weeks ago and am switching too, going to Taste of the Wild now, never realized all the stuff in normal dog food was unhealthy, and now that I adopted my new dog that has previous health problems and needs a better food, I will start giving it to both dogs...

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of us can't and some of us don't want to deal with the raw food diet and prefer the ease of kibble.

It takes me all of 30 seconds to lay down food for 3 cats and 3 dogs. I cannot think that kibble really saves all that much time. Freezer space is really the biggest factor. Not to mention, it's that much cheaper than even the best kibble. But, to each his or her own...the information is there for those who are interested.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you're not under the impression that Promeris covers heartworms because it does not. Your dogs remain at risk (and heartworms will kill your pet quicker than intestinal parasites will...and they're vastly more expensive to treat).

No, she gives a tablet for worms. I forget why she said she quit giving out Revolution, and I meant to ask yesterday.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We give our 2 dogs Iams large breed, cup each in the morning along with a small treat and a cup at night with 3 small treats and twice a week we give them a break with Alpo prime cuts canned food. They do great on this diet.

Bacardi

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It takes me all of 30 seconds to lay down food for 3 cats and 3 dogs. I cannot think that kibble really saves all that much time. Freezer space is really the biggest factor. Not to mention, it's that much cheaper than even the best kibble. But, to each his or her own...the information is there for those who are interested.

Again I'm with you 100%, but you're leaving out the prep work or the steps inbetween going to the supermarket to putting the meat in front of the dog. To be on the same page, the "raw food diet" covers many different diets. For most, there's ample time spent carving the meat, portioning it off, putting each meal into individual bowls, bag, etc, and you have to actively remember to cycle food from freezer to fridge. Point being, for most, it will take signicantly more time doing the raw food diet vs kibble.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feeding Blue Buffalo longevity puppy to my 11 week old lab until he is old enough to switch to wilderness, and our other dog gets the Adult Blue buffalo small breed adult.

Latest posts

Top Bottom