What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
50 pounds pinto in two 5 gallon barrels in 6 gallon Mylar bags vacuums sealed, 25 pounds white rice in a 5 gal barrel, 10 lbs coffee, 6 boxes powdered milk, 20 lbs flour, 15 lbs brown sugar, also soy sauce,Tabasco sauce,Katsup, sea salt, black pepper.
I'm prepped for 5 people about 4 months food so far, just ordered more food grade bucket/lids & Mylar bags,oxygen removers, also another water bob

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, riper1, impressive.

I'm getting my water stores in the bunker today. I filled my 55 gallon barrel today and it's now treated and sealed up. I've also started filling up my mylar water boxes and will get them down there tomorrow. By sundown tomorrow, I should have about 100 gallons of water stored.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
riper, you and EM there are starting to make me feel like a slacker ... :D

I'm concentrating on getting a good sized garden in, using various techniques, so I can see which ones I am okay at and which ones I need to work on. For example, I have several raised beds in and am now working on putting up the framework for a vertical garden. I've also started gathering containers and lined the window boxes in order to try several different plants in containers and see how that goes. I've also started some trays with microgreens. Once I harvest those I can feel the "leftovers" to the chickens for them to pick through and scratch into the compost they make for me! :D

I'm about to try my hand at worm farming too ... I've got WAY too many oak tree leaves falling into my backyard to just bag them up and waste them. Several bags of leaves that I snagged from the neighbor last fall are already starting to get that nice, earthy smell to them when I dig down into the pile I made last fall ... :) I am a happy, happy camper!!

Finally, I'm taking a real hard look at dwarf fruit trees. I don't have a lot of land (typical suburban lot) but I really think that if I plan my perennial/annual plantings appropriately I can get a nice "cottage look" garden off to a start in the front yard and not look like that "weird lady down the street" ... I'm kinda going for the "that gardening lady down the street" look ... :)

The back yard is where I hope to excel though. I've got the laying hens fixed up and going good. Meat birds I'm already making different plans for this fall, when I get another, more sizeable batch, to feed out.

Dogs are fixed up so they can be out when it's good and up when I need them to be out from underfoot.

Rabbits are the next "big thing" for the back. I had a breeding trio last year, but had to give them up when I got sick and couldn't care for them like they needed. The guy I gave them to is having great success with them.

After that I'd like a greenhouse big enough for a few plants, but mostly to start a small tilapia "pond" with some 55-gal barrels ...

And ONE of these days I'm gonna talk GC into that dwarf goat ... :grumble: :D

Something I'm noticing with my reading around here. There seem to be two different "types" of us ... those of you who are focusing on stocking up and those of us who are focusing on homesteading where we are. I'm off to start another thread to discuss this as I don't want to derail this thread ...

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well BadgeBunny all I know is this: ive got a garden spot and some herloom seeds put back but you gotta eat untill that crop comes in! and dont forget even good farmers have bad crops, your doing awesome though.
Also I think its hard to spend cash on things you not sure are going too happen, afterall its never happened in this country, but when it does, be preppared to help (deal with or ??) all those idiots who are livin in the moment, oh yeah the debts not cut in half yet I just checked

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well BadgeBunny all I know is this: ive got a garden spot and some herloom seeds put back but you gotta eat untill that crop comes in! and dont forget even good farmers have bad crops, your doing awesome though.
Also I think its hard to spend cash on things you not sure are going too happen, afterall its never happened in this country, but when it does, be preppared to help (deal with or ??) all those idiots who are livin in the moment, oh yeah the debts not cut in half yet I just checked

I agree completely. That's part of why I've become so interested in gardening ... It's not like I can actually store 50 years worth of food in this little bitty house ... And even if I could, it would be my luck that I'd outlive my stash ... THEN where would I be?? Up a creek without a paddle, that's where ... :D

It's not real hard to convince myself that my monthly allowance for preps is money well spent. We have more than enough natural disasters around here in any given year that even if the proverbial S never HTF, I'm still pretty sure I'll need at least SOME of the stuff I have put back at least a couple of times in any given year ...

faerielady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to prepping, so basically just getting started. Today, I bought 2 extra flats of bottled water, made chicken broth for canning (I'm excited and kinda intimidated, I have a brand new pressure canner that I've never used), and eyeballed the 32 tomato plants on the table that need to be re-potted into the next side larger pot for the garden. Oh, and I planted strawberries in a topsy turvy, just because.

I hope to become more active in this thread and learn from everyone. I've got a lot of catching up to do, a little at a time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome, faerielady! It's not hard to prep at all. You will get the hang of it in no time! These guys are a GREAT bunch ... (And some of them actually know what they are talking about! :D :wink2:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom