What do I need to remove crimped primers from .223 brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand your post you broke the decapping rod on your die ? And no I don't know of a way to remove crimp until after you deprime it. Once you get it deprimed rcbs makes a press mounted primer pocket swaging tool. I've used it with excellent results. You can also remove crimp with a primer pocket reamer or rcbs and dillon make a stand alone swaging tool. And like you I learned that this happens and now keep a few decapping rods on hand for .223 and .308. Also make sure it's not berdan primed brass that will break a rod quick and in a hurry. If they are sealed in ill put them in a little alcohol then scrape the sealer off with a knife before I deprime also. Hope this helps.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look down in the piece of brass and make sure it is not berdan primed. Try to get a feel for when to stop and check before you snap the pin

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lonnie, I've ran into the same problem. Most of the .223 brass that I've had issues with are those manufactured outside the US. They must have sealer on them or something besides the crimp.
I've found that I'll break the pin with a steady pull, so I give it a series of short pops with the loader handle. Seems to work. Haven't broken a pin since. BTW I deprime on a single stage with a Redding depriming die.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have zero issues with the lee universal deprimer die..actually deprimed a couple berdaned cases on accident.
Set the tension right and the rod will slide up...I have 2 extra rods for it just in case...might as well buy them when you buy the die.
Wish you were closer i would deprime them if i had a shell holder for 223..

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a fun pro-tip for ya... Instead of a specialized tool you can get away with reaming them with a chamfer tool... I chuck mine up in the possum hollow power adapter, and I turn by drill press upside down on its stand. So basically my .223 process goes like this:

1) Tumble
2) Lube, resize, deprime
3) Tumble
4) Trim with possum hollow trimmer in power adapter on drill press upside down.
5) Chamfer and ream primer pockets.

I've found I can run thru a bunch really quick, possum hollow makes good product.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already have the dillon tool for deswaging and the RCBS power brass prep center but I broke a pin on my rcbs die last night using the dillon 550 as I was resizing. After breaking the one, I replaced it and tried to feel better instead of forcing it. I just wondered if there was a better way to get the primers out. I have never loaded rifle rounds on a progressive before and it sounds like I may need to go back to the single stage on it and start working all the brass like I used to.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already have the dillon tool for deswaging and the RCBS power brass prep center but I broke a pin on my rcbs die last night using the dillon 550 as I was resizing. After breaking the one, I replaced it and tried to feel better instead of forcing it. I just wondered if there was a better way to get the primers out. I have never loaded rifle rounds on a progressive before and it sounds like I may need to go back to the single stage on it and start working all the brass like I used to.

Just dont get into too big of a hurry and watch that the base of the brass goes all the way into station one in the shell holder. you might notice that sometimes it might not. Are you using a case feeder?

Latest posts

Top Bottom