What does hunting land lease for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
H. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any land that is used primarily for farming or ranching activities or to roads, water, watercourses, private ways, buildings, structures, and machinery or equipment when attached to realty which is used primarily for farming or ranching activities.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any land that is used primarily for farming or ranching activities or to roads, water, watercourses, private ways, buildings, structures, and machinery or equipment when attached to realty which is used primarily for farming or ranching activities.
I'd like to see the entire bill on the Okla legislature link if you have it.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Recreational Land Use Statute is a state law that protects landowners from liability if they allow people to use their land for recreational purposes. It’s allows for leasing up to $10 an acre a year. Above that you are not protected and you take on legal liability for anything that happens to them.
Interesting. I wonder how much insurance costs for those that choose to carry it? On smaller 1/4 section type leases I'd think that $10 line would enter into the strategy if the insurance is more than nominal. And I'd think it would be.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Around where we live, not where I hunt, lease prices are dependent on some game pics with dates, etc, stands existing, quality of the stands, and so on. It is on Native American land so that may be why.
Call me crazy, but this just seems like common sense to me. If I was leasing a place, I’d dang sure want proof there’s deer on it before forking out any money, and I’d want pictures of big deer before I would pay a “premium” price.

In my opinion, any realtor, lease agent, or owner worth their salt will have at least game cam pictures to show a perspective buyer or leaser. My son saw a place last week up on the Medicine Lodge being marketed to hunters that was listed for a couple or three million, and of the 60+ pictures posted of the place, there wasn’t a single picture of a deer. That’s a head scratcher to me. :anyone:

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a whole lot of land leased for much more than $10 per acre.
Haven't heard about that Statute. will look it up to get more info.
Around where we live, not where I hunt, lease prices are dependent on some game pics with dates, etc, stands existing, quality of the stands, and so on. It is on Native American land so that may be why.
There’s always the extreme cases both ways. We see guys post all the time about only paying $2 or $4 and acre. But obviously we know that’s not the norm just like much over $10 isn’t either.

We typically do a poll each year on our FB group to see what everyone is paying for their lease. It’s a group of over 100k Oklahomans so it gives a decent idea of what’s going on. The OLAP Director usually talks on it as well. This past year he corrected me when I said $10 is the norm I’m all of this state. He said it was actually less than that based off his surveys of what landowners are charging and what the ODWC is paying.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but this just seems like common sense to me. If I was leasing a place, I’d dang sure want proof there’s deer on it before forking out any money, and I’d want pictures of big deer before I would pay a “premium” price.

In my opinion, any realtor, lease agent, or owner worth their salt will have at least game cam pictures to show a perspective buyer or leaser. My son saw a place last week up on the Medicine Lodge being marketed to hunters that was listed for a couple or three million, and of the 60+ pictures posted of the place, there wasn’t a single picture of a deer. That’s a head scratcher to me. :anyone:
Oh no doubt, I alway ask to see pics of bucks killed on the place.
But I can’t tell you how many guys trying to lease properties post pics that aren’t from that property. Hell we caught a guy a few years ago who was showing pics of my buddies dad and a buck he killed. Saying it that was killed on his property, even advertising it online.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh no doubt, I alway ask to see pics of bucks killed on the place.
But I can’t tell you how many guys trying to lease properties post pics that aren’t from that property. Hell we caught a guy a few years ago who was showing pics of my buddies dad and a buck he killed. Saying it that was killed on his property, even advertising it online.
I’m sure that’s an issue. I’m also pretty sure this 22 acre spot I have would draw much more than $10 per acre with all the pics I can produce over the years of 130-150” bucks, existing heated blind, food plot installed and so on. Just like today
C2575873-7743-47F6-9A45-6826362BFE9B.jpeg

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure that’s an issue. I’m also pretty sure this 22 acre spot I have would draw much more than $10 per acre with all the pics I can produce over the years of 130-150” bucks, existing heated blind, food plot installed and so on. Just like today View attachment 232075
Ill give you double ($20) for the 1 acre that feeder sits on!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom