What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC to Laredo, TX to Malaga, NM to Price, UT and back to Okc. Slept in the truck 3-4 hours each night. Gone 4 nights. Fixing computer communication/sensor issues at oil rigs back in 2009. Usually at a rig for less than 2 hours. One hell of a paycheck that week.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Longest and worst solo road trip, 2,400 miles. Portland Oregon to Detroit Michigan in November. Took 3 days, had to stop every night due to snow. First day made it as far as Wyoming and had to stop in Evanston due to Snow. Stayed at a Motel 6, best Motel in town. Had a hooker show up knocking at my door asking for "Joe," no interest on my part so told her wrong room, slammed the door. Next day drove through Wyoming, population 300K in the entire state. About 1/2 of the way the highway was clear, so where the airwaves, my digital radio kept searching for radio stations to no avail, got to practice being Mad Max cruising the apocalyptic wasteland. Speed limit said 75, I decided 95 would get me out of the wasteland of Wyoming faster. I was focused on the road ahead and at the last minute saw a Wyoming State Trooper in the rear view mirror. He pulled along side of me, waved, and continued on doing around 110 mph. Started snowing that night, ended up stopping in Nebraska. The balance of the trip was uneventful. Made it to Detroit and my bed. Road time, not counting evening hotel stops was 34 hours.

Vehicle: 1994 Ford T-Bird 4.6 Liter V-8, Moonroof. Had a cassette player, no CD. Had CD's, no cassettes.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a solo trip, but when my youngest son was about 10, he won a Ducks Unlimited essay contest and was invited to a dog training clinic in Sisseton, South Dakota. It was about 1200 miles from Nacogdoches Texas to get there.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2018 I did San Angelo TX to Fresno CA for an old army buddy's wedding. Did it on a Suzuki M50 with a backpack strapped to the rear fender. Made a few mistakes along the way (always bring extra fuel), but made it in time for the wedding. Moral of the story, always bring extra fuel on those long stretches of Mojave and never skip a gas station because you think the 10 minutes to stop isn't worth it.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Port Orford Oregon to Key west Florida. 3 days. Oh and that was on a motorcycle too.

I used to venture off for about 10 days and just ride wherever the road took me. Never tracked those miles.

I rode 1123 miles in 21 hours with a roadside rest to get my ironbutt certification.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC to Lake Jackson, TX.
lol, that I-35 to I-45 merge/exit in Dallas sucks. Done Ponca City to Lake Jackson a few times. Corpus Christi to Ponca City is the most I've driven in one day. +/-700 miles.

I keep pushing for a great American road trip family vacation, but nobody else is on board haha. One of these days I'm gonna have to hit it solo on a Goldwing.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Burbank airport to OKC in a little more than two days. I landed in Burbank and drove and stayed in Barstow, CA about midnight to 4:00 AM, then got up and drove to west Amarillo and arrived about 8:30. Only four stops for gas and to eat.

I was alone, otherwise it would have been a week or so. I bought a car from a friend and drove it back for my son.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1980 Houston to Salt Lake City in a '78 El Camino, 26 hours, IIRC I pulled over and tried to sleep, gave up after about an hour and cruised on. Driving diagonal across Texas is an experience I do not want to do again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom