What's Biting this Time Of Year (Hot July)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The local lake, Lake Altus has been going down significantly since the cotton farmers started irrigating. The feed river has dried up so there is no help until we get some good rains.

I'm not a fisherman by any stretch of the imagination but my kid always wants to go. What does one fish for in Oklahoma during the dog days of summer? More importantly how do you go about it? I wouldn't mind running up to the lake in the morning with my son for a little bonding time. Even if we just drown worms from the bank that is okay, but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your far away but the Lower Illinois river is 60 degrees. It's a trout river. I catch fish everytime I go. Sometimes more than others but it's fun. I was there when we were having those 100 degree days and it was nice standing in that cool water.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am assuming your kid is fairly young, I take mine in the evenings for bluegill and we normally stay pretty busy. Mine is eight and loves fishing for just about anything but bluegill are pretty safe bet to get some action.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am assuming your kid is fairly young, I take mine in the evenings for bluegill and we normally stay pretty busy. Mine is eight and loves fishing for just about anything but bluegill are pretty safe bet to get some action.

Mine is 13 and we are bank fishing. More details please. :woohoo1:

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to go to lake altus all the time when I lived there. I always fished at night by the damn. I always used live minnows and always left with something (mostly Panfish but sometimes some nice cats). You should make a day/night of it. Best Wishes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom