What's the deal with BCG availability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buying an AR in parts, allows "thrifty" and patient guys to buy components when they're on sale and offer free shipping. I'm still assembling decent quality M4 style rifles for about $625. And, don't forget the tax imposed on a complete firearm- Not sure if it's FET or what, but recall 11% as the percentage.

I realize that there's much more to machining a carrier, parts and bolt than chucking a piece of barstock in a CNC lathe then mill, but with the shortage going this long, I'm surprised that the manufacturers haven't upped production.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not every "manufacturer" makes parts. Alot of them are no more than assemblers. Theres probably no more than 6-10 bcg manufacturers for the whole industry.
Machining is the easy part. my guess would be the holdup is more in the heat-treating/testing/finishing areas.
The bcg is the heart of the gun and you can't just turn one on a lathe slap it in a gun and go.

Kind of like an article on another thread that told about Magpul.
They don't "manufacture" anything! they buy the pieces from other people and all they do is assemble and ship.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't you guys just buy the whole rifle? I never understood the whole "parts" gun thingy? Seems like something we'd do here in Alaska to keep our old Subaru's running.

Because you get exactly what you want when you build from scratch and Instead of dumping 2.5K or 3K in a prebuilt you can usually get by with about 2/3 of the price in a personal build.

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Raw materials is also an issue. No 8620 in bulk pricing to be had easily. Barrel makers for machine guns and of course many semi rifles are having difficulty getting the right steel as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom