Whats up with superdave gun shows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SD's was the last show I went to. For what it's worth that's where I found my holy grail of handi rifles. The only one I've ever seen. So there was things there to see and buy.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, SD came to Stillwater and I sure appreciated that.

I really see better deals in OSA classifieds than I see at shows anymore. Gone are the days I can go to a show and buy a Police trade-in Glock or Beretta for $299. If I’m going to pay a premium I’ll just go buy it brand new.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one i went to in Claremore was fair. Dave got support from the OSA crowd and my only issue is the lack of notification he is throwing in the towel.

Feet Dry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps set the door fee at $15 with $9 refundable with purchase, or a $9 coupon good at any vendor. Something to encourage people to make a purchase.

I like this idea. You get a coupon that is not good for anything but a purchase. I would pay $15 to get in if I could get $9 back by buying "something". If nothing else you can always use more magazines, ammo, etc.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave got support from the OSA crowd and my only issue is the lack of notification he is throwing in the towel.

Yup.

I will give some benefit of the doubt to him for the time being, perhaps some personal/family issues have thrown him into disarray. I have no reason to believe he won't make it right with those who have money on the line.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this idea. You get a coupon that is not good for anything but a purchase. I would pay $15 to get in if I could get $9 back by buying "something". If nothing else you can always use more magazines, ammo, etc.

I think I'd prefer a refund from the show organizer with a receipt to a "discount" off of those wonderful gun show prices.

What I'd really like to see is a pledge from any gun show organizer that he is dedicated to creating a venue to gather businesses and individuals who wish to trade/buy/sell in honest competition - i.e. no pressure on any dealers to not "undercut" each other with better prices. That was one of the most significant issues with Metcalf shows, he may or may not be a personal jack-wagon, but he was reportedly restraining trade and threatening dealers (especially smaller ones) with expulsion and banishment (from future shows) if they upset the larger dealers with cut-rate prices.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the problem with SuperDave shows was the sheer amount of them. This state is saturated with shows and they're all competing for the same small piece of pie. Superdave started with something good and lots of support, but he pushed it till it broke. The original concept was a winner, quality show and affordable prices without the fluff associated with Metcalf's nonsense. He should have organized two or three shows a year and made sure those were good shows rather than have one every weekend - no one wants to pay door fee plus gas plus food to go see the same stuff that's always there weekend after weekend. Then, as the quality went down, the incentive to go became less and less.

As Ronny mentioned, the writing on the wall had been there for a while. It's sad it ended the way it did, Superdave should have stepped up and ended it in a responsible manner.

I have to agree with this

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there are probably too many shows, but I won't go to Metcalf's. My 2 cents

The only show I went to in the last few years was SD's the last 2 before that I walked away form a metcalf was due to price at the door. I just wanted to look and my daughter like sthe beanie baby stuff but the door price was $12 and for me to look you bet $24 is way to much. He lost my business that way. The other show I never made in the door as I was there to sell and sold before even getting to the door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom