Why I "think" I don't need a Glock 43x for EDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 48, but in hindsight, I probably would buy the 43x if I did bought that size glock again. The longer barrel is nice for range trips, but is that much more gun to conceal. I have the shield mags, but tend to carry the OEM mags due to reliability concerns. I haven’t had an issue with them, but I have heard of it happening, and figure 10+1 is good enough for what I need, and the peace of mind with OEM mags is worth it. So if it boils down to getting it because of the shield mags, I wouldn’t get it.

Also, at the end of the day, the 48/43x isn’t much smaller than a 19, and well, you lose capacity and universal mags with the smaller frame. I’m looking to get a 19/19x/45 and while it won’t replace the 48, it will likely take over most of the duties. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mostly carry appendix and usually 43 in summer and 43x with shield arms in the winter. The capacity makes me feel good, but the added weight and handle length makes it harder for me in casual summer clothes. With the 43x I use holsters that have the 'arm' that puts the handle tighter to the body, and it conceals pretty well. Just not as well as the 43 with light t-shirts and shorts.

Your rationale makes sense to me, however.

In my experience wives never tire of discussing guns and carry options, though, lol.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don’t need one because you carry a SIG
LOL, I like Sig rifles, but their pistols are pieces of art that need to run wet and not something I am willing to bet on vs glock :)
Actually like the feel of M&P
Not much feels better in the hand than those other than maybe a P226
I mostly carry appendix and usually 43 in summer and 43x with shield arms in the winter. The capacity makes me feel good, but the added weight and handle length makes it harder for me in casual summer clothes. With the 43x I use holsters that have the 'arm' that puts the handle tighter to the body, and it conceals pretty well. Just not as well as the 43 with light t-shirts and shorts.

Your rationale makes sense to me, however.

In my experience wives never tire of discussing guns and carry options, though, lol.
Very good info, thanks for replying...I often wear long sleeve T's even in winter and I find that handle length is the biggest issue for my wardrobe most of the year. I tried one of the arm holsters awhile back and I didn't keep it, but that was for a double stack gun so not sure if it would make a difference for the 43x for me or not. I would suggest you look at an LCP max for summer...especially with the extended mags that almost make no difference in handle length. I carried the 43 until I saw that.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Although I disagree with all your points for not carrying one, I think you have already convinced yourself you don't need a 43x so you now have talking points to support it.

I have one and I think it's a great gun and it hides really well. Most of the time I hip carry and put my shirt over it. I'm not on a spy mission so if someone sees an irregular bump on my side fat, who cares?

I very seldom app carry, it pinches the sh*t out of my FUDA and unless I have a heavier shirt, you can see it. I do carry in the small of my back alot, especially in the summer, so the flat gun works great.

I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
I think this is where you convinced yourself already.
My .380s are just as comfortable as my 43x

- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
It's pretty flat and unless you look like an emaciated POW, you're probably good.
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
You run 380s with more than 10rd mags? I'm good with 10rds plus an extra mag. If I need more ammo, I f@cked up.
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
I never heard this. I have the standard mags...how many rds do shield mags hold to make it top heavy?
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)
It comes with two already.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom