Winchester Ranger 30-30 Transformation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thats why i love these things. its kinda like keeping a classic car on the road. you need to know how to work on them or know a good shadetree mechanic. parts are a dime a dozen and available from many sources. rifle looks awesome by the way!

The post 64's are seriously finicky. Under-feeds are so common it's almost comical. My absolute favorite gun is a '71 Winchester 94, I've worked on it a LOT. I love the gun, but the link is a ridiculous piece of workmanship comprised of sintered metal and is about as 1/4 the strength it needs to be. Wearing the tab off the end of it (that prevents feed issues) is a common problem along with laxed tolerances that allowed the factory to pump out these lever guns en masse without all the fitment that used to be required.

The only way to fix loose fitment is to either have parts custom made or (sometimes) use oversized pins with custom drilled holes, depending on the problem. This solution is NOT for the faint of hear and would only be recommended for an experienced gunsmith.

The other option is to keep replacing the link or have one custom made. In order to get my girl going, I machined one from tool steel, custom fit to the rifle. Over 2,000 rounds later, not a single feed issue. before, i couldn't get 10 rounds through it the damn thing before I had to take the mag tube apart and remove an under-feed.

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats why i love these things. its kinda like keeping a classic car on the road. you need to know how to work on them or know a good shadetree mechanic. parts are a dime a dozen and available from many sources. rifle looks awesome by the way!

Yeah, it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Brandi- I have know idea what kind of wood it was, or what the finish on it is. The finish is very hard and the wood showed virtually no grain to it. I would love to have one of these in 44 magnum!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't know. It cost $40 bucks for parts so hopefully that will get it fixed up. I am not real experienced with these guns.

Sucks you got taken by another member here. Be sure to leave that feedback. Glad your parts are cheap:)
I gave fair market value on a shotgun last year, turned out the fixes doubled the total cost, and still had a seller swear he "had no idea" and insisted I shouldn't have posted negative feedback. They know, they always know... That's why they sell them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom