Word Origins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American slang was used during WWII as verification codes.
To, too, two, etc.
I've heard but can't verify that the English language used in the US is the hardest language to learn because of the slang.
That being said, a coonass from Nawlin's can't effectively communicate with a person from the Bronx. Its no different in other countries.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[QUOTE="dennishoddy, post: 2899624,
That being said, a coonass from Nawlin's can't effectively communicate with a person from the Bronx.[/QUOTE]

Why the cathair would they even want to try??? Have y'all evah tried to say "yous'all"?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While many people will shun the fact that the Bible is truth, About 208 common "idioms" are rooted in scripture.

That's true. But the words and common idioms aren't rooted in scripture per se, but rather in the original Early Modern English translations which contained the Latin and Greek words of the original text that was left in after translation. Back in 16th century England, the Bible was only read by a certain number of high priests in the Church who knew Latin. Translating the Holy Book into Early English was heavily punishable by draconian laws, such as boiling alive or dismemberment amongst other horrific punishments.

Eventually, an individual named William Tyndale(c. 1494–1536) did create a book translated from Latin to Early Modern English(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndale_Bible) . In these early translations of the Bible, oftentimes the translations were direct transliterations. and in many cases, the original latin and greek words were left untranslated. This was copied into several other bibles at the time. The church did try to burn many copies, but failed in preventing the spread of the Holy texts from spreading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wycliffe's_Bible was very influential, too. it occurred during the Middle English era and many Latin words came from his translations as well.

Here's a very interesting documentary on youtube on the subject of the English language and the Holy Bible:

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple favorites I like to mess with people on. One I get to use when it's spoken is "behave" I know it means to be good but if you break it down into it's two possible words of "be have" it takes on a different twist. Just the other day a woman was saying something to my wife in friendly conversation to make sure she behaves. Not being able to pass up a little laugh I asked what a have is and how can she be it.

When doing things written my favorite way to mess with a grammar natzi is to simply say, "There, their, they're, it'll be ok." They generally know I am simply doing it to 100% mess with them in a way you would comfort a child. In a game server it generally gets great laughs and I have had people I know tell me they spit something through their nose after reading it.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple favorites I like to mess with people on. One I get to use when it's spoken is "behave" I know it means to be good but if you break it down into it's two possible words of "be have" it takes on a different twist. Just the other day a woman was saying something to my wife in friendly conversation to make sure she behaves. Not being able to pass up a little laugh I asked what a have is and how can she be it.

When doing things written my favorite way to mess with a grammar natzi is to simply say, "There, their, they're, it'll be ok." They generally know I am simply doing it to 100% mess with them in a way you would comfort a child. In a game server it generally gets great laughs and I have had people I know tell me they spit something through their nose after reading it.

I always like the following examples for Your vs You're

"It's the different between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Latest posts

Top Bottom