Ya Know Ya Live in the Country When...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the OP, you know your living in the country when a coyote wants to attack your dogs in the yard. .22-250 45 gr HP puts an end to the situation.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P5160001.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P5160002.jpg

You have this kind of stuff in your front yard:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_P2270177.jpg

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me I'm one of the easiest guys to get along with but if someone elses cows were on my property long enough to be considered yard ornaments they would be getting a new home one way or the other.

I live in the Kenwood Indian reserve, it's open range. Instead of putting up fences to keep cows in, you are expected to have fences to keep cows OUT. The folks who own them are nice enough and they will come help me run them out when things get too dire. But, they aren't always available to do that.

NayvDoc - yes, I have put a rumpfull of birdshot into them before. I don't reckon it's a whole lot worse than what their owner is eventually going to do to them. Some of the bulls who get in here seem to have no sense of humor, they're lucky I don't do worse. I also love hamburgers and steak *rubbing belly*. You're more than welcome to come along and give one of those sweet bulls a big ole hug and try your damnedest to lead it out of my yard without a sore ass...I won't object.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that makes more sense being open-range. I didn't think about that, most people are usually more particular about keeping them in one area to keep an eye on em so I just didn't think about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me I'm one of the easiest guys to get along with but if someone elses cows were on my property long enough to be considered yard ornaments they would be getting a new home one way or the other.

It only takes a call to the local sheriffs office to get it taken care of. Taking cattle that does not belong to you is rustling.
It does not matter how long they are there.....Trust me.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the Kenwood Indian reserve, it's open range. Instead of putting up fences to keep cows in, you are expected to have fences to keep cows OUT. The folks who own them are nice enough and they will come help me run them out when things get too dire. But, they aren't always available to do that.

NayvDoc - yes, I have put a rumpfull of birdshot into them before. I don't reckon it's a whole lot worse than what their owner is eventually going to do to them. Some of the bulls who get in here seem to have no sense of humor, they're lucky I don't do worse. I also love hamburgers and steak *rubbing belly*. You're more than welcome to come along and give one of those sweet bulls a big ole hug and try your damnedest to lead it out of my yard without a sore ass...I won't object.

dont get me wrong im no tree hugging *****, but i would think it would be wiser to put up a fence or move of the res that get caught shooting someone elses cattle.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really hope you don't give them "a rump-full" of bird shot. That's both cruel and inhumane.

I've seen people pepper their own cattle with bird shot. You're kind of hoping it'll get their attention without breaking the hide.
It could conceivably result in the Full Cheney, but that's a chance you take.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont get me wrong im no tree hugging *****, but i would think it would be wiser to put up a fence or move of the res that get caught shooting someone elses cattle.

Now why would I move off for that? I don't move for the coyotes that come in my yard either - I shoot them too, but with more deadly results. I don't move because of all of the poisonous slithering critters out here (and trust me, there are tons)...they're shotgun bait.

I figure if the owner of the cattle minded them having lead in their ass, they would attempt to keep them more under control. But alas, they are the ones keeping the gates open. Same thing with dogs. If someone's dogs keep showing up here causing mayhem, I'm going to introduce them to some quickly-propelled lead as well.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i understand shooting dogs, yotes, snakes, and a whole heap of other non welcome intruders. our cattle have always been a way to put good beef on the table and my dad would have put bird shot in my ass if i did something like that and i extend the same courtesy to other individuals cattle

Latest posts

Top Bottom