Yoga!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a confession. :sorry1:

I have been practicing Yoga for a few months now. I needed something for flexibility and strength for the upper body to work in tandem with my cycling and honestly, lifting weights just got too boring. It's actually really, really challenging and humbling. Whoever knew striking an awkward pose could build strength and cause you to sweat profusely? :scratch:

It started off with a DVD series (all in one DVD actually) of Power Yoga by Bryan Kest. After doing a few sessions on the carpet I realized I needed a Yoga mat So I got one! And if you're getting a mat, you gotta get a bag, right? Right! So I got one of those too!

Now, some of you may be asking, why would you need to carry a Yoga bag? Well, to Yoga class of course! :respect: I went to a class called "Yoga for Athletes" at the Yoga Room on Brookside. It was great! And I have to say, I did pretty well for a total noob. I have to give the credit to a few weeks of hardcore Yoga training in my living room though thanks to the DVD set.

Is there anyone else here who's tried it or currently doing it? Or am I alone on this one? :D

I've been doing it for about two years. It put me in the best shape of my life. I grew up on a wrestling mat, and had I known about Yoga in high school I would probably have become a state champion.

I'm 47 and I can do feats of strength, balance, and flexibility that I never would have thought I could do. I rarely ever have an ache or pain any more.

But... Yoga was designed by and for people in India who survived on 1200 calorie per day diets. In the US, where each individual typically eats enough every day to feed Mahatma Gandhi's extended family for a day, Yoga isn't enough to remove all the excess lard from overgrown American asses. So, you need to add some hard cardio like an elliptical for at least 30 minutes a day.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been doing it for about two years. It put me in the best shape of my life. I grew up on a wrestling mat, and had I known about Yoga in high school I would probably have become a state champion.

I'm 47 and I can do feats of strength, balance, and flexibility that I never would have thought I could do. I rarely ever have an ache or pain any more.

But... Yoga was designed by and for people in India who survived on 1200 calorie per day diets. In the US, where each individual typically eats enough every day to feed Mahatma Gandhi's extended family for a day, Yoga isn't enough to remove all the excess lard from overgrown American asses. So, you need to add some hard cardio like an elliptical for at least 30 minutes a day.

Wow, very cool! Yes, isn't much of a cardio workout... But that's not its intent either, imo. I love the flexibility I've gained... And due to training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 13 years, I was already pretty flexible. But Yoga causes you to push yourself and many of the poses just force you to stretch further than you would doing anything else.

The human body is amazing and watching it adapt to the new stresses applied to it is a really cool thing to observe.

But yeah, I have cycling for cardio... As you can see here... :)

Attachments

• me2.jpg
    me2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Top Bottom