A/C Condensers and Cottonwoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d prefer a different tree but there’s a good sized line of them behind my house and only half are on my property. Also if I cut them down, which right now is cost prohibitive I’d be looking right into my neighbor’s back yard as they would mine.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d prefer a different tree but there’s a good sized line of them behind my house and only half are on my property. Also if I cut them down, which right now is cost prohibitive I’d be looking right into my neighbor’s back yard as they would mine.

Huge trees can be costly to cut down. My neighbor was quoted $10k to bring his down and remove. I went a cheaper route and removed the limbs mostly at the property line. A couple were up against the trunk with the neighbor's permission. Cost me $1800. And that was just one tree. Cottonwoods are not a problem with just cotton seeds, but also for months drop rather large leaves and countless little twigs that mowers hate.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neighbor has 3 huge cottonwoods on the fenceline. As recommended by every HVAC guy I've had over the years, hit the cottonwood real quick with a torch. They burn in an instant. Wash off the ash.

Been wrapping my unit in aluminum window screen for years now held with magnets. Also recommended by every HVAC pro I've ever had at this house. It comes off when the cottonwoods quit snowing.

My pops has done the same with both of his r-22 units for the last 23 years, zero problems.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I would recommend just rinsing it off. "

Just make sure you hose it from the inside of the condenser coil (where the cottonwood fibers are NOT) so that you are forcing them out the way they got sucked into the coil. If you just try to wash it from the outside (where the cottonwood seeds are) to the fan, all you will do is clog the fins even more.
Yes I should have been more specific.

Also probably a good idea to pull the service disconnect before rinsing.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at mine and behold! Beau coup cottonwood residue was all over the coils. So I took it apart and started cleaning by hosing it out from the inside and the fan and housing fell on my arm and gave me a huge scrape that I'm nursing. Afterwards, I read that 1 tsp of dishwashing liquid soap to a at of water sprayed on the coils will clean the deposits.
Next time I'll. hire an a/c man.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom