Chicken Barn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish i had the video of the day we got her chicks she was balling her eyes out crying as we went around the store she was so happy, but one of them came up with a pulled tendon i believe and the tears started flowing again thinking she had done something to it but it is doing better now not perfect but better it is walking on it a little bit.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish i had the video of the day we got her chicks she was balling her eyes out crying as we went around the store she was so happy, but one of them came up with a pulled tendon i believe and the tears started flowing again thinking she had done something to it but it is doing better now not perfect but better it is walking on it a little bit.

Oh how I remember the losses my girls suffered. But it made them understand death and loss and the circle of life.

A funny story about my youngest girl. Off at her first year college the dorm had two pet hedge hogs. One got sick and the other older dorm girls brought the sick one wrapped in a towel, it was not moving and thought was dead to my daughter and they asked her to help them with it. She told them they had to bury it. While my daughter was in the process of digging the hole the thing wiggled in the towel and my daughter instantly whacked it with the shovel three times! The older dorm girls screamed in horror, freaked out and took off running! She tried telling them that it was done to put it out of its misery! She had some explaining to do to the two “city” dorm moms and the other girls involved! She called me and told me what happened and I damn near couldn’t stay standing from laughing!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh how I remember the losses my girls suffered. But it made them understand death and loss and the circle of life.

A funny story about my youngest girl. Off at her first year college the dorm had two pet hedge hogs. One got sick and the other older dorm girls brought the sick one wrapped in a towel, it was not moving and thought was dead to my daughter and they asked her to help them with it. She told them they had to bury it. While my daughter was in the process of digging the hole the thing wiggled in the towel and my daughter instantly whacked it with the shovel three times! The older dorm girls screamed in horror, freaked out and took off running! She tried telling them that it was done to put it out of its misery! She had some explaining to do to the two “city” dorm moms and the other girls involved! She called me and told me what happened and I damn near couldn’t stay standing from laughing!

She "whacked" the wrong ones.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor and I both hatch birds. Various breeds. But honestly just buying from Atwoods or ordering from a hatchery is a solid way to go

If you’re purely looking at efficiency and not interested in colorful eggs or pretty feathers just get rhodeisland reds, leghorns, red sexlinks, etc… the production breeds will lay the most eggs per year maximizing your feed to egg conversion ratio

When you build roosting bars use 2x4s turned flat. Narrow roosting bars aren’t good for their feet

Make sure it locks up tight, raccoons are insane when determined

Latest posts

Top Bottom